Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Primary in Bottling Bucket

Old 03-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
Fletch78
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default Primary in Bottling Bucket

I've read all the FAQ's and Newbie stuff and stickies (great info) but one question still remains.

Since secondary is not so popular anymore, why not just go with primary in the actual bottling bucket?

If I catch a little lee's in the first couple of bottles, I don't care. I'm not trying to win awards, I'm just trying to RAHAHB or whatever the acronym is.

As far as stirring in the priming sugar, if some bottles are a little overcarbed and some are a little undercarbed, again, I'm not trying to win any awards, I'm just trying to RDWAHAHB. If one or two blow up in the shed, maybe it will scare off some of the rats. I guess stirring in the priming sugar solution would kick up the lees, and so there'd be alot of that going in the bottles as well. Meh. I don't care.

Other than those types of concerns, is there any other reason I shouldn't consider doing my next beer in the bottling bucket? I got the one from Midwest, the Ale Pale kind with the cut-off knob thing option upgrade thing. Are they leaky or anything like that?

Old 03-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
mojotele
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm not sure you're taking into account just how much crud can be at the bottom of a fermenter. You can suck that stuff up and clog up your bottling wand pretty good, I bet.

And bottle bombs aren't exactly a RDWHAHB situation. Somebody can get seriously hurt. That said, I doubt you'd get bombs by stirring in the priming sugar as opposed to racking on top of it.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
Scooby_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I would say you could do a primary fermentation in a bottling bucket (the one with a spigot) if you were adding priming sugars into each bottle separately (I don't think it's a good idea), or kegging.
The reason why you want to rack your beer into a separate vessel before bottling is to properly dissolve priming sugars. You want to add priming sugar solution during the transferring process from the fermenter to the bottling bucket, so the whirlpool-like motion in the bottling bucket will help dissolve the priming sugar evenly.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
jaobrien6
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Especially if you don't filter from the kettle to the primary but just dump it all in, there's usually a *lot* of crud in the bottom of my primary. I wouldn't consider bottling straight from there, personally.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
mojotele
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Do yourself a favor and check the "Similar Threads" area at the bottom of the page. Lots of good info in there about using a bottling bucket as a primary.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
Chuck_Swillery
Recipes 

If you really wanted to go that route I suppose there is no real reason not to. You'll be drawing off more than a little trub in my opinion, especially depending on style and yeast which can really vary the amount of trub in my experience. As you pointed out adding and stirring in the priming sugar would be a challange without really putting a lot of trub into suspension. You could get around this by using some of the carb drops on the market. Finally, with the valve and pieces at the bottom of the bucket that adds one more dimension for possible infection sources in my mind. However, go for it and stick with it if it works for you and you like it.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #7
Fletch78
Recipes 

The owner of my LHBS that has been in business since it was legalized in 1978 told me you can just pour in the dissolved solution and wait 20 minutes and it will self-distribute due to differences in mass and temperature difference, sort of like pouring a spoon of cold milk into a cup of hot coffee, no stirring necessary.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #8
Fletch78
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojotele View Post
Do yourself a favor and check the "Similar Threads" area at the bottom of the page. Lots of good info in there about using a bottling bucket as a primary.
Will do... thanks for pointing that out to me.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
oceanselv
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The amount of trub will be an issue when you attempt to bottle. The wand will clog fairly quickly. Regarding the bottle bombs, if one goes off you can break the glass and then you have a projectile shards of glass flying across the room. In the best case of over carbonation you simply open the bottle over a sink and wait for the foaming to stop before you pour into a glass.

I've used my bottling bucket for a primary when my carboy was tied up. However, it was a PITA to rack into a clean secondary and then clean and sanitize the bottling bucket before I racked back into the bucket. Before I do that again I will buy a second primary.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:08 PM   #10
Fletch78
Recipes 

I've read through those, and a good question has arisen. How to sanitize the spigot after it's been sitting on the floor for a month without being able to take it off.

I was this close to finding a lazier way to make beer.

Any ideas?