Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 60 Free Grolsch Ceramics, 10 year old homebrew in them...

Old 03-18-2010, 03:02 AM   #1
jjones17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default 60 Free Grolsch Ceramics, 10 year old homebrew in them...

Ok, so I am pretty darn excited! My boss's husband gave me his old grolsch bottles from back in his day of homebrewing. They are still in the original 20 pack box, which is great, My dilemma: They contain beer that is likely 10 years old or so. I cracked one, and dumped it in the sink. The aroma: Smelled like a sherry or a port wine. I am debating on whether or not to try one (can you say, botulism?), but I am definitely excited to use them for my next batch. The seals look original on them, but none are cracked surprisingly. I am wondering if I should replace them? I did a forum search, but most folks were talking about the generic swing tops - not the actual grolsch ceramic tops.

EDIT - Turned out this was actually closer to 15 years old

Old 03-18-2010, 03:08 AM   #2
kypher
Recipes 

Man, I don't know. 10 years is an awful long time for a beer, but it's not uncommon for a mead or something bigger like that. If you smell it and it doesn't smell terrible, there's no mold, nothing floating in it, and a small taste sample offers a delicious beer to your palette, I would assume it's probably pretty good. I'm not a doctor though and I don't play one on TV so don't take my word for it. I guess I just figure that if proper sanitation techniques were used in bottling it's probably ok.

Oh. Replace the gaskets. They cost like a quarter for 50.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:10 AM   #3
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Do you have a dog you could offer it to? Then watch to see if it gets sick.

Just kidding btw. But I agree, if it doesn't smell foul, it's probably safe to try a sip or two.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:26 AM   #4
mullenite
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

10 years is not long at all for a beer. Drink one.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:31 AM   #5
dunleav1
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nothing will grow in beer that will hurt you. Drink one, you may be dumping a great beer.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:22 PM   #6
Sigafoos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I got bottles from my boss' son's first batch, which was probably well over 10 years old. It was a gusher and smelled like vinegar (can't remember if I tasted them), but then I had a bunch of 16oz bottles, so I was happy.

CBW website | Twitter | Facebook | HBT thread

Niagara Association of Homebrewers ex-President
Live in or around Buffalo? Join NAH for fun and excitement!

[1:47pm] chefmike: and dont listen to sigafoos!
[1:47pm] Sigafoos: that's generally good advice

Old 03-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 13

botulism can't survive, grow or produce toxins in an environment with alcohol. There are no pathogens that can survive in beer.

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 03-18-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 4

OMG I cant believe you dumped it! Sadness, please don't dump any more until you at least try it, I imagine it is wonderfull. I had a 40 year old pilsner last year that was as fresh as could be.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ok that does it! I am going to try it! I have 9 left. I am going to crack one tonight, taking pics, and write my 'review' on this thread! I must say, the one I dumped had a nice ruby colour and it was as clear as a raindrop.

I was a bit irritated, as I was trying to clean the bottle that I dumped. The sediment has turned black, and extremely dense. It took 5 minutes of shaking to get most of it out (methinks no yeast harvesting?), and my stoopid bottle cleaner would not get into the bottom. Those are long bottles. I must buy another one today. Good thing the other 51 bottles are squeaky clean!

Old 03-18-2010, 03:35 PM   #10
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Just soak it in oxyclean and hot water overnight, should take care of that yeast sediment

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash