Inexpensive way to get into a 20lb CO2 tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fifelee

Reaction score
After leaving my local welding supply store discouraged because they wanted $200 for a 10lb CO2 tank I happened to drive by the local Pepsi distributor. On a whim I went in and asked about CO2 tanks. They rent out 20lbs tanks for a $50 deposit with no time limit and fill them for $19. If for some reason I no longer want the tank I can even get the $50 back. Walked out with a full 20lb tank for $69.

Awesome! I need to check out my Pepsi distributor and see if they will do the same. I have a 5# tank now and it lasts about 10 kegs or so, but having a 20# would be awesome! Especially at that price!

Score!

Awesome! I need to check out my Pepsi distributor and see if they will do the same. I have a 5# tank now and it lasts about 10 kegs or so, but having a 20# would be awesome! Especially at that price!

Score!

Badger..Let me know what you find out when you do this. I want to get in on this action as well. Where is our local Pepsi distributor?

Good idea. I actually have a Pepsi factory about 2 miles from here, so I wonder if they will do this...

While you are there - ask if they have any kegs ... do the part with old kegs?

I wonder how long those tanks are certified for. I have a pepsi tank that I rented and filled for another home hobby I used to do. (won't tell you what, not exactly legal). I have the tank in the garage and just bought a two tap keg kit. My problem is the tank has not been refilled in about three years. It still has pressure but I don't know how much. Do you think they will refill it? Maybe exchange it?

shouldnt be a problem. if the tank is property of pepsi, the test is their problem. not yours. they should just give you another one.

i sell compressed gas(co2, o2, just about anything) the way it works is...if its my tank people are renting, the test is my problem. if its their tank, the test is their problem.

Roughly about the size of a corny keg, a little shorter and fatter as I recall.

I'm pretty sure we have a Pepsi place up here and I wouldn't mind asking them, I just want to make sure it'd fit in my rig before I went through the trouble of getting one. If that's the size of it, it may not work. Would the OP mind posting measurements?

I'm pretty sure we have a Pepsi place up here and I wouldn't mind asking them, I just want to make sure it'd fit in my rig before I went through the trouble of getting one. If that's the size of it, it may not work. Would the OP mind posting measurements?

8" diameter and 27.5" tall. Remember you need extra room for the regulator.

I wonder how long those tanks are certified for. I have a pepsi tank that I rented and filled for another home hobby I used to do. (won't tell you what, not exactly legal). I have the tank in the garage and just bought a two tap keg kit. My problem is the tank has not been refilled in about three years. It still has pressure but I don't know how much. Do you think they will refill it? Maybe exchange it?

Co2 helps illegal plants grow!

8" diameter and 27.5" tall. Remember you need extra room for the regulator.

Would a regulator from a 5# tank work on the 20# tank? I actually think it might work in my kegerator, but being in AK, everything is finicky so I'll have to make a few phone calls to see if that's even an option.

Boomer, a co2 reg is a co2 reg...if it fits on a 5# it will fit on a 10-20-50#. No Worries:)

No, you cannot lay it on the side as it fouls the regulator. The CO2 will run into the regulator. Liquid CO2 is abrasive and will score metal parts of the regulator. Plus I think the liquid CO2 will convert to gas inside the regulator (how it gets its reading) and will freeze it up.

Could use an anti-siphon tube. (Bent tube that goes inside the tank so that when the tank is in the correct position the tube points upwards and doesn't suck in liquid that freezes the regulator)

No, you cannot lay it on the side as it fouls the regulator. The CO2 will run into the regulator. Liquid CO2 is abrasive and will score metal parts of the regulator. Plus I think the liquid CO2 will convert to gas inside the regulator (how it gets its reading) and will freeze it up.

Think he meant for transporting it?

If so just close the tank valve, it will be fine.

Apparently this doesn't fly in Canada, just got off the phone with the local pepsi place and was told they only sell them to accounts.

+1 for Alaska if anyone is interested, at least Anchorage. She told me to call Air Liquide on Arctic but they want $190 for the tank and another $35 for the co2.

Boomer,
Wow, it sure costs an arm and a leg for CO2 in Alaska. I spent 6 years in the Fairbanks area (North Pole, AK) and since I got my co2 for free...I never realized how high it was. At least you have some Beautiful scenery to offset the cost.

Co2 helps illegal plants grow!

Not in Mexifornia, that law's all about gone the cops look the other way unless it's a big operation. This will be on the future ballot about private plant growing and use. Not my thing just what i've learned with my teenage kids. The Feds will be another issue to be seen if it passes in Mexifornia.
Potato gun with starting fluid was a big bad no no almost got the gray bar hotel having fun target shooting spuds. I went to Co2 powered but this also crossed the line my city now has laws against spud guns even Co2 powered. Jerks!

Oh man, I wish I had known this two months ago! I pass my local pepsi distributor every time I go to/leave school.

I salvaged seven 20# Co2 bottles from the dumpster on a Round Table fire remodel job. Also got four 15.5 and three 7.75 kegs plus taps, regulators and manifolds. Me or gone with the dumpster with other garbage as well a complete carbonator unit with tank, pump and motor. Pack rat here.

Boomer,
Wow, it sure costs an arm and a leg for CO2 in Alaska. I spent 6 years in the Fairbanks area (North Pole, AK) and since I got my co2 for free...I never realized how high it was. At least you have some Beautiful scenery to offset the cost.

Most things are an arm and a leg up here, though. You're right about the scenery. This year I'm gonna enjoy it with home brew!

I called my local pepsi they want $30.00 deposit and $30 refill, Not bad! my wife is heading there today to get me a new tank :)

I am having a bit of an issue with my local place. They are telling me they can't rent anything to me. I called them about exchanging one of their tanks and they told me they didn;t think they could do it. I do not have a beverage account. She was going to ask someone else and call me back (she didn't). I did find one of their local partners and they will rent me monthly one of their tanks, but they could not exchange the one I have.

I ended up calling Airgas. They are going to exchange the tank for me.

Wow, sounds like the cost of living in Alaska is higher than the S.F. bay area in general and we are high. The price of tires, washing machines or appliances must also be high with everything shipped in. Is it cheaper buying from Canada than the USA?

My opinion even though it's going to cost more up front is to have all owner owned bottles plus get the largest size you can handle. This will pay for itself in fewer refills with the cost savings on each refill over time. Price per cu/ft on refills. Lease bottles will surpass initial purchase price in no time you'll be surprised how fast the months go by. Call me greedy with having all large owner own bottles, only the Co2 is under the 150 cu/ft size stout mix bottle in size. I refill my 20# bottles off the 50# with the special hose and invert the 50# for liquid out refills, when the 20" needs hydro i'll send it in for a retest. The footprint's the same no matter the bottle size in the closed laundry room the ceiling's my limit at 8 1/2' so no worries about the ugly industrial factor look. The Argon and C-25 gas 260 cu/ft the past 19 years alone have more than paid for themselves in less refills not alone the lease fees as an example. I lucked out with the herd of free large 3AA bottles from a friend that will fetch big money should I hydro and sell or outright sell them.

where can you find a list of pepsi distributors? i couldent find one listed on the pepsi website

edit: found 2 places nearby using google. do i want the pepsi co inc or the pepsi bottling group?

$200 is pretty steep... you can buy one for $100 brand new from beveragefactory. I bought my 15lb tank from them and haven't had an issue. I mean assuming you can't get one from pepsi co like the OP says.. ie alaska.

anyone know the deal with coke?

Nope, but "ACID" was rather common in the late 60's while in HS but then I was already a good German drinking only BIER.

Coke distributorships as well 7-UP are rather rare in my area.
I still see Corny's in the beds of Ford Rangers on the highway
but also a rather rare occurrence. Ask the drivers about C02 bottles
or refills and all they mention is "check your local welding supply".
The $200 price from the start of this thread I can make some instant
extra cash if they go for $200 this with 20# bottles.

Sorry to dig up a very old thread but how does one locate their local pepsi or coke distributor? I've been searching google and I can't seem to make any headway. In this thread most people just say they saw it driving by...

-Frozen

Back