Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Canadian and Toronto Members look here

Old 03-18-2010, 06:39 PM   #21
b33risGOOD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

seems like you have been to most of the options around here, thanks for the INFO! I might have to look into this.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #22
grover69
Recipes 

I understand the frustrations, which even though its a bit of a drive, I will be at
Niagara Traditions sometime Saturday. Sometimes you want to talk to somebody at the store, or actually see what you are buying.

Good luck with your search

Old 03-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #23
b33risGOOD
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

what happens when i try to bring stuff over the boarder, that scares the heck out of me lol.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #24
grover69
Recipes 

There is absolutely nothing to be scared of. Just Declare Everything you have with you. It will be up to the discretion of the Customs Officer if you will be charged duties and taxes. Duties are usually never charged if you declared your goods. Also since most homebrew supplies are made in America such as the ingredients they are not dutiable under NAFTA anyways. Basically you will have to pay GST/PST, so 13% added on your declared value in the worst case (same if you bought here in Canada).

Example, my buddy and I were at Niagara Traditions a couple months back. Spent around $300+ we declared it, and we had to pay GST/PST on the full amount. Taxes were around 36 dollars I think. Usually if you have low amounts they let you go, $300+ was quite a bit of stuff that we had so I was expecting to pay taxes.

Although my wife bought a high chair for $200 at target around 4 months ago, and the officer let her go, she didn't pay anything. The same high chair was around $350 at Toys r us in Toronto, so paying the GST/PST was the chance we were willing to take.

Also it is only fair, maintaining a society isn't cheap.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:18 PM   #25
BlackTieBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33risGOOD View Post
what happens when i try to bring stuff over the boarder, that scares the heck out of me lol.
There's nothing to worry about when bringing homebrew stuff over the border. I've made a couple trips to Adventures in Homebrewing near Detroit and never had to pay duty on anything; one time I had like $400 of stuff including a trunk full of cornies and just got waved through, but it probably depends a lot on the officer you're dealing with.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:35 PM   #26
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have ordered from all three canadian sites, and my experiences were as follows:

homebrewersretail - Selection on dry yeast kind of limited, but good prices and fast shipping. No issues.

homebrewsupplies - Guy will give you a credit if your shipping is lower than quoted. I ordered 5 packets of Notty (never again given slow start, but thats another story), he placed in a small envelope for me at my request using only 2 stamps. I paid full price (as payment is advance), but used the 16$ credit on my next order. Awesome. Prices are MUCH higher than the other 2 for yeast, and many other things. However, great selection. Rhizome prices are literally 4 X higher than Crannog Ales of BC. Meh.

Mashingheads - Fast shipping, flat rate shipping, ordered 2X with no problems. Although, I did recieve some hijacked phishing email from a source that obviously recieved my information from their website somehow. When I notified the owner of mashingheads, no response. Was kind of strange. I wouuld reorder from them though, given they do have good prices.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:11 AM   #27
BlackTieBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I believe mashingheads had their website hacked for a while which is why they weren't answering emails. I had the same problem but they got back to me and everything is fixed now.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:30 PM   #28
jspence1
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

If you are in Toronto become an SOB. Join the facebook group Are you an SOB and join the mailing list. You just missed the bulk grain buy (162 bags) We seem to do an order about every 6 months

If you are looking for hops I'd recommend just ordering from hops direct and shipping USPS hops are tax and duty free.

I personally order most of my other stuff cleaners, sanitizers, yeast from the US.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #29
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Yeah, Canada is lacking in affordable online Homebrew supplies. I guess it is party because the manufacturers for many of the products are in the US, however I am hoping the homebrew movement continues to grow and help our purchasing power. After all, demand dictates supply - and I want better choices.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:21 PM   #30
b33risGOOD
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There are some kick ass beer kits on MOREBEER

damnit lol