Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Hard Ice Tea

Old 03-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
mfp03001
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hard Ice Tea

So recently I came up with the idea of trying to make some homemade hard ice tea. But I have not seen any threads on here about it, which was my first sign it might be a bad idea...

Basically my plan is to dissolve some sugar in water; boil it for a little while add some yeast and nutrient (not sure what kind yet) and let that ferment. Then rack it, heat it up, add some tea bags and let them steep, and maybe some honey or sugar to sweeten it. Then bottle it.

I just wanted to get some peoples options on this to see if this is a good idea or dumb/unsafe for some reason. Or just a waste of time and I should go buy vodka and add that to tea. I thought it might be interesting to try.

Thanks

Old 03-16-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
krops13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The process in experiments like this is half the fun. If it were me I would try doing some vodka and sweetener of your choice in your tea first. Tea is kind of bitter by itself and with the perceived bitterness that alcohol will bring to the tea I think some unfermentable sugars will be necessary to help balance the bitterness. Don't forget to add some hops to your fermenting tea/sugar water if you decide to do it. Hops inhibit botulism spores from growing. And that's some more bitterness to fight. If I were to do this I would ferment the tea already made with the sugar in it. Possibly a lager so that the tea flavor isn't to covered up. Then when I serve/drink it I would back sweeten it if there was no carbonation. If you plan to carbonate it might take some practice to get the right amount of unfermentable sugars.

Translation: Relax don't worry have a home brew and don't be a ****!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdecarol View Post
Oh the things I would do to that pint.
California Common Pint

Old 03-17-2010, 12:24 AM   #3
mfp03001
Recipes 

Well thanks for the input I would not have thought of the hops that's probably a good idea. I was not planning on making it carbonated so I could just sweeten it to taste afterward sounds like a good idea for at least the first batch. I think I am going to just try one gallon first to see how it goes, I'll probably do that pretty soon.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:49 AM   #4
Mike1983
Recipes 

If you are doing an iced tea and you are going to sweeten it later then I would recommend a simple syrup or something along those lines. Regular sugar just won't dissolve, take it from a southern sweet tea addict that has had to live up north.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:30 PM   #5
krops13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Blue agave syrup dissloves is cold liquids and is mighty tasty.
Translation: Relax don't worry have a home brew and don't be a ****!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdecarol View Post
Oh the things I would do to that pint.
California Common Pint

Old 03-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
Cliff897
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp03001 View Post
Basically my plan is to dissolve some sugar in water; boil it for a little while add some yeast and nutrient (not sure what kind yet) and let that ferment.
I would give some thought to starting with caramelized cane sugar and make a pot still and make rum.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #7
mfp03001
Recipes 

hmmm interesting idea can't say I have ever had that before.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:31 PM   #8
Whiskey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Sounds like an interesting experiment. You may want to figure out the fermentation, and then back sweeten afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1983 View Post
If you are doing an iced tea and you are going to sweeten it later then I would recommend a simple syrup or something along those lines. Regular sugar just won't dissolve, take it from a southern sweet tea addict that has had to live up north.
Same here brother, what you do is order your "Sweet Tea", when the waitress looks at you like you just spoke to her in Latin and then replies with the standard "I can bring you some sugar packets"; as calmly as you can ask for the unsweetened ice tea with no ice, a glass of ice, 10 packs of sugar and a cup of hot water. Mix the sugar in the hot water until dissolved and add to the tea to taste. Then add your ice.

Yeah it's anal, but sometimes I just want a damned sweet tea.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #9
mfp03001
Recipes 

Oh I have heard of sweet tea before, I dated a girl who was originally from NC for like two years. Can't say I was ever fond of it though... I met the Blue agave syrup I never ehard of though I suppose that's what they make tequila out of.

Anyway I think I'll take the consensus and try back sweating it.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Why heat it back up? Why not just 'dry hop' it with the tea bags?