Can I bottle it yet? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Can I bottle it yet?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
EricM83
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
NE
Posts: 12


Kinda new here, I've had my beer in the primary fermenter for 2 weeks as of 3-17. I've only made beer 3 or 4 times before, but have always bottled around 2 weeks. But I still see a bubble in the air lock every 15 seconds or so. Shouldn't it be done by now? Should I take a hydrometer reading or just let it be? If it helps, I'm making a Belgian White Beer. Thanks in advance.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
California
Posts: 2,607
Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts


its been said a great many times on here and ill say it again. an airlock is not a fermentation indicator its a pressure release valve. take some SG readings. wait 3-ish days and take another. if they are both exactly the same then fermentation is done and your safe to bottle. if they are not the same then there is still some fermentation going on and you should wait another week then do the SG check again.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
GLoBaLReBeL
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Mission Viejo,CA
Posts: 192


This is correct! I used to rely on the airlock and found that I could have actually bottled my beers MUCH earlier then the month I was waiting.

HOWEVER . . . there is some thought that leaving the beer in the primary for a month, while also heating it up to around 70-73F the last few days before bottling will help remove a lot of the bad/off flavors creating during the fermentation process.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about bottle conditioning - potential bottle bombs polkbar Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 12-20-2009 11:52 PM
Bottle Tree/Sulfiter/Bottle Cleaner--$25 agroff383 For Sale 3 10-19-2009 09:08 PM
Bottle in the Miller Lite 16oz Al bottle/can things beesy General Beer Discussion 5 03-30-2009 08:18 PM
Bottle or not to bottle? 15 hours between hydrom tests? OdinsBrew Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 12-22-2008 05:55 PM
Can you transfer from bottle to bottle w/o losing carbonation? Thor Bottling/Kegging 2 02-20-2006 12:54 PM


Forum Jump