Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Another Kegerator build GE Dorm Fridge

Old 03-14-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
waazupdoc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default GE Dorm Fridge GMR04 Kegerator build

Okay I finally finished my kegerator. Thanks to all here who inspired me to do this. I had never messed with anything like this before so decided to try doing it myself. So I started with my purchase on Craigslist of a GE Dorm sized fridge.
I realized getting into it that it would quite be what I wanted and I was looking for a project so I decided to go radical on it. My end goal was to fit 3 corny kegs or a 1/2 keg so I was going to need to do a serious overhaul on it. My first obstacle was going to be the Hump on the bottom.

So I removed it very carefully.

Then there was the issue of building a base for it to stand on and the compressor to be re-positioned.

I then bolted that all down after I re-soldered all my lines for the coolant and after letting it sit right side up for a while. Then plugged it in and found that it was working properly and that i would now have to re-insulate the are and enclose it.

I put a piece of Stainless for the base and wrapped the inside with aluminum then sealed it all off with silicone. Once that was done I routed the lines and started to insulate with expandable foam the cavity. I then made a piece of metal wrap around the external cavity then filled that with foam.

I had to do a little inside work to make it all fit but in the end I got the results I was looking for.

You can see that I had to remove some of the inside lining to make it all work and I had to scrape away some of the insulation. Once that was done I was able to put my aluminum lining in. Then once that was in I reinsulated the inside to give it a little more padding.

But all in all I am happy I got to keep the freezer for my .3L mugs and its big enough for 15 gallons of my own home brew. Thanks everyone
For a full write up or more pics you can go to www.joelnrebekah.com
Please share any kegerator info you can provide as I am constantly looking to improve on my design or even amazed by some very innovative ideas.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
nebben
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Holy cow that's some ingenuity! Nice build!

Old 03-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
gmtech825
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

very cool, i wondered if this could be done

Old 03-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #4
waazupdoc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah I was a little scared of starting it but I figured hey if I blow it then I can always start over on another one ;-)
bjzelectric Likes This 
Old 03-14-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
mosquitocontrol
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Could you fit 4 cornies in there if you really tried? Or does it just barely not fit?

Old 03-14-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
waazupdoc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I can't fit 4. i could have modded it to do it but i was just lookin for 3 cornys and a 1/2 keg. with the mods i did i is about 3/4 - 1" from fitting. i do think i could fit a 3 gal in there somewhere.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:45 AM   #7
ElDuderino
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's amazing! I see that you were very careful not to break any of the lines, but you also soldered in a T-fitting. How were you able to do this without leaking coolant?

Thanks for the post!

Old 03-15-2010, 05:02 AM   #8
waazupdoc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had the T already soldered in place when I made the switch. It wasn't that bad actually then I just pressure tested and it was fine.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #9
waazupdoc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well poured my first one from this thing and boy was it tasty. Has anyone else been doing the same thing with their dorm fridges? I am curios to see some pics

Old 04-27-2010, 03:05 AM   #10
waazupdoc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Does anyone have the same fridge

I am wanting to see what others have done with this fridge. Have you tried the same type of conversion if so what did you do? and post some pics or hand out some advice