is there a Gluten free beer kit available - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > is there a Gluten free beer kit available

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
sparkey17
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Ireland
Posts: 33


Looking for Gluten free kits

a friend of mine cant drink normal beers and would like to make a beer for him thats gluten free

can you buy kits or do i have to brew this beer from scratch

if i can buy kits does anybody know what to buy

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Lcasanova's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Park Ridge, IL
Posts: 980
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts


Ireland huh? I wonder if you can find a source for sorghum somewhere? If you can, just substitute the sorghum for malt extract 1:1 and brew it like normal....or you can look through the gluten free forum for recipes and I have some in my dropdown...

I know there is a link to a kit somewhere on here from a guy named androshen but I don't know if they could ship to you.
__________________
Lucky 13 Brewing Company
Est. 2009

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:30 AM   #3
Androshen
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Rochester, NY
Posts: 116

I am currently working on this one ... http://www.homebrewers.com/product/A...-Beer-Kit.html

Racked it tonight and it is smelling great and tasting rather promising ....
__________________
Whatever doesn't kill me ...... had better run alot faster than I can ....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
sparkey17
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Ireland
Posts: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androshen View Post
I am currently working on this one ... http://www.homebrewers.com/product/A...-Beer-Kit.html

Racked it tonight and it is smelling great and tasting rather promising ....
THanks a million for this Link ,, will pass this onto my Supplier and see if i can get this ,, will you let me know how you get on with it ,, im finding it hard to get gluten-free beer here in Ireland and very few supplier in The USA and Uk will send to Ireland ,,

Ill find some soon ,,

Thanks a million for the link

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
Androshen
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Rochester, NY
Posts: 116

Having commercially available gluten free beer is not really a beneficial thing ... my wife and I have at least 4 different brands we could choose from. We have tried them all and can assure you that they are all overpriced (about twice the cost of a regular beer) and *very* disappointing to taste.
Those 2 reasons are why I ventured into homebrewing in the first place.
After my first batch, based on lcasanova's American Brown Ale recipe, I am hooked on both the cost and (more importantly) the taste.
I am trying the kits in order to broaden my horizons, so to speak, but will no doubt simply continue buying the ingredients and just duplicate the kits if I like them as they are expensive also. I figure I can duplicate this current kit for only half the cost.
__________________
Whatever doesn't kill me ...... had better run alot faster than I can ....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:38 PM   #6
stevezab
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Boulder Creek, Ca.
Posts: 16


I have developed a gluten free beer for my wife. Won second place at the Santa Cruz County fair for specialty beer. You can get the recipe from breworganic.com (Seven Bridges brew supply Co-op.). 800-768-4409 This brew came out like a Belgian Wit. Now working on new variations. Brewed from Buckwheat.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #7
DKershner
 
DKershner's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Bend, OR
Posts: 1,870
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by stevezab View Post
I have developed a gluten free beer for my wife. Won second place at the Santa Cruz County fair for specialty beer. You can get the recipe from breworganic.com (Seven Bridges brew supply Co-op.). 800-768-4409 This brew came out like a Belgian Wit. Now working on new variations. Brewed from Buckwheat.
For what its worth, I looked on this site and couldn't find anything. They do not have malted buckwheat, although they do have toasted buckwheat.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:16 PM   #8
spaced
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Posts: 305
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkey17 View Post
THanks a million for this Link ,, will pass this onto my Supplier and see if i can get this ,, will you let me know how you get on with it ,, im finding it hard to get gluten-free beer here in Ireland and very few supplier in The USA and Uk will send to Ireland ,,

Ill find some soon ,,

Thanks a million for the link
Can you get sorghum malt tubs where you are?

What type of beer do you like normally?
__________________
My gluten free home brewing blog.
http://gfhomebrewing.blogspot.com/

Drinking: Hopped Honey IPA
Fermenting: 2 Ciders with S-33 Yeast, Summer Pale Ale and a West Coast IPA
Planning: Belgian Triple, Blood Orange Wit and American IPA

All gluten free.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #9
stevezab
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Boulder Creek, Ca.
Posts: 16


Quote:
Originally Posted by DKershner View Post
For what its worth, I looked on this site and couldn't find anything. They do not have malted buckwheat, although they do have toasted buckwheat.
I work here E-mail us at BREWORGANIC.COM or call 800-768-4409 we have the supplies & recipe. Give me your e-mail & i'll sent it too you, recipe has malting instructions.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:25 PM   #10
DirtbagHB
 
DirtbagHB's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Pocatello, ID, Idaho
Posts: 234
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by stevezab View Post
I work here E-mail us at BREWORGANIC.COM or call 800-768-4409 we have the supplies & recipe. Give me your e-mail & i'll sent it too you, recipe has malting instructions.
this might be a dumb question. but how does one go about malting a grain AFTER toasting it. i thought that the process of toasting KILLED the grain

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gluten Free Beer ol' rummie Gluten Free Brewing 8 08-11-2009 05:54 PM
Gluten-Free Beer Llama Recipes/Ingredients 6 04-21-2008 07:47 AM
Gluten Free beer srm775 Recipes/Ingredients 3 01-09-2008 02:09 AM
Gluten free beer derekwestwood Recipes/Ingredients 10 01-06-2006 03:17 PM
Gluten-Free Beer pilkinga General Beer Discussion 4 12-27-2005 05:27 PM


Forum Jump