Ss Brewtechs Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Direct fire MT with Sanke - Questions!!!
Old 12-30-2010, 05:31 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Originally Posted by ghart999 View Post
Thanks a lot for the pics and help. I think I will do something like this. Your return at the top of the MT, do you worry about the wort dropping straight down into one place. Do you think sprinkling is needed or anything?
I just did a 10 gallon batch of Holiday Chocolate Stout the other day. We dragged the mash tun into the house to keep it at a decent ambient temp since the garage was about 22 degrees. We had tried to wrap it in an old sleeping bag...bad idea (it was vinyl...oops). After about 45 min the mash had dropped from 155 to 144, so I decided to heat it up. We just threw it back on the burner at low and I just slowly stirred the mash. I have a full size false bottom from Climax. It seemed to work quite well considering it was a stone age method. I probably should get a pump, but my kegerator and pump fund just went out the window - had to get a new washer.