Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Extreme brewing Kiwi Wit..

Old 03-14-2010, 12:57 AM   #1
jimmywit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Extreme brewing Kiwi Wit..Has anyone done this?

Has anyone done the Kiwi Wit from The Extreme brewing book? I have wanted to try it for a while and have a question about adding the Kiwi. It calls to add it at flameout and let it sit for 20 min and then transfer the fruit to the primary. If I do it this way, would it be best to put the kiwi in a bag and then after I have strained out my wort dump them in? Or just add them right in and not even bother straining thw wort on this one? Any thoughts or comments?

Old 03-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I'd say to use a bag and do the primary fermentation in a bucket so you can just drop the bag in. I have a feeling feeding mushy Kiwi(after being cooked basically) into a carboy would be a PITA.

Ooh I've been thinking about doing this beer as well with summer coming and all.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
jimmywit
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a feeling feeding mushy Kiwi(after being cooked basically) into a carboy would be a PITA.

That is a good point. I will go with the bag and bucket...I will do it sometime this week.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:10 AM   #4
jimmywit
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I bottled this today, and it tasted amazing. I did use the bag and the kiwi flavor was not at all over powering. It was very suttle in fact. I will wait 4 more weeks and taste again. But what I tasted at bottling was great.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
smokinghole

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I'm planning on brewing up a kiwit today. The set screws on my mill are missing (brand new) for the third roller and until I figure out what size they are I am on hold for milling/mashing.

I'm not using the Extreme Brewing recipe though. I made a bit of a variation of a wit base recipe and will just add kiwi to that. Luckily sams club has 3lbs for $6.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
jimmywit
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed it about a 4 weeks ago. I just bottled it over the weekend. It tasted great at bottle time. The kiwi was for suttle and left a nice crisp finish. I am sure the tatse will change but so far I am very pleased.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #7
BillyBroas
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I saw the kiwit in Extreme Brewing and decided to make it, but am doing it in a Pilsner recipe (so I guess I'm really not making it). So Jimmy, did you end up fermenting in a bucket? Did you cube the kiwi? I'll have to use a carboy and am trying to figure out the best way to add the kiwki. Like was said, it could be a PITA putting mushy kiwki through the neck.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #8
jimmywit
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBroas View Post
I saw the kiwit in Extreme Brewing and decided to make it, but am doing it in a Pilsner recipe (so I guess I'm really not making it). So Jimmy, did you end up fermenting in a bucket? Did you cube the kiwi? I'll have to use a carboy and am trying to figure out the best way to add the kiwki. Like was said, it could be a PITA putting mushy kiwki through the neck.
I dug out my old coopers primary that has a big screw on lid. I used a bag for the kiwi. They do get mushy and the seeds get all over the place. It may be worth spending a few bucks on a bucket if you don't have one. The 4lbs of kiwi the recipe called for turned out to be about 15-20 kiwis. But as far as I can tell it seems it will turn out to be a great brew
Pmeade311 Likes This 
Old 04-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #9
jimmywit
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Also forgot, yes a did cube the kiwi

Old 04-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #10
uglytunasaloona

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made this recipe back in January. I was surprised by the fact that there was no sweetness in the beer as I might have expected from the kiwis. I'm thinking that the yeast consumed all of the sugar and dried it out nicely leaving only a very subtle but tart taste to the beer. I believe that the addition of the kiwis also contributed to the higher then normal ABV. My beer came in at 7.2%.

Pmeade311 Likes This