Installing Valves,Bulkheads,thermometers ect.. - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns & Hot Liquor Tanks > Installing Valves,Bulkheads,thermometers ect..

Old 03-13-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
InfernoBrews

Recipes 

Feb 2009
Pittsburgh

Talking to people and hearing all the differences i was bored so i figured i post to see what everyone else has done..

Question. How high from the bottom and or where have you placed your accessories (ball valves,sight tubes,thermometers) on your keggles?

Do you prefer weld less or fixed (welded) fittings? Problems with either?

I have talked to many people and everyone seems to do thiers a bit different, so i was just trying to figure out the most popular for fun..

Next Up: Imperial IPA
Primary1: Pale Ale
Primary2: Low Pro IPA
Secondary:IPA with Falconers Hops, Blonde Ale

Bottled: Red Ale

Kegged:Red Ale, Wheat, HopSlam Clone, Chocolate Stout on Nitrogen, Holiday ale Left Overs On Nitrogen.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:16 PM   #2

I use weldless since it's cheaper and I don't know anything about welding. Mine have all worked great. I usually drill my hole for my drainage valve about 2-3" above the first lip on the bottom of the keg. Sight glasses and thermometers are pretty much a personal preference. Wherever you feel it'll be easier to use.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 03-14-2010, 12:00 AM   #3
Chello
Recipes 

Nov 2007
Atlanta, GA
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I have all 3 of mine mounted below the first ring, mainly so i can be sure my thermometer is never above the liquid level when i'm doing 5 gallon batches.

It may not look as crisp and clean as having the thermometer mounted above the valve, but more useful for my needs.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:10 AM   #4
Rudeboy
Recipes 

Jul 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I mean to drill out my aluminium pot and use a weldless. Is there any problem with the flame heating the o-rings.
Kegged Ready: Cream of Three Crops; Dry Stout; Session IPA
Bottled Ready: English Barleywine '12; English Barleywine '14; Wee Heavy; Westy XII

Old 03-15-2010, 01:35 AM   #5

Most of the weldless bulkheads come with high temp o-rings. Mine have not shown any wear.

Another HERMS rig...