Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Mash Tun Help.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:29 AM   #1
nanotigerbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mash Tun Help.

I was testing my newly built Mash Tun (5 Gal Rubbermade cooler) and noticed it leaking from the holder for the paper cups. I realized there was a crack in the bottom of the cooler and all the foam insulation was getting soaked. Is there anything to seal up the cracked liner?

Old 03-13-2010, 01:31 AM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2983 Times on 2892 Posts
Likes Given: 146

you can try a high temp food safe silicone, but from personal experience. It's DIFFICULT to get anything to adhear to that slick plastic. Rough it up first.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 03-13-2010, 01:34 AM   #3
Ohio-Ed

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

I had the same problem... nothing I'm aware of to fix it.
I saw some suggestions for trying to use epoxy, or apply some sort of patch, but none that appeared the be the AH-HA fix.
Some folks have had great experiences with coolers for MT's. I went to a SS MT.

Good luck.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:11 AM   #4
Bjornbrewer
Recipes 

Location: St. Clair Shores, MI, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanotigerbrewer View Post
I was testing my newly built Mash Tun (5 Gal Rubbermade cooler) and noticed it leaking from the holder for the paper cups. I realized there was a crack in the bottom of the cooler and all the foam insulation was getting soaked. Is there anything to seal up the cracked liner?
If it's newly built, can I assume the cooler is new too? If so, take it back...it's shouldn't be cracking with hot liquid.

“Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” ~George Burns

Old 03-13-2010, 03:07 AM   #5
Ohio-Ed

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjornbrewer View Post
If it's newly built, can I assume the cooler is new too? If so, take it back...it's shouldn't be cracking with hot liquid.
Mine cracked after a few uses (maybe 10-12 or so). It started as a buckle in the wall from expansion, then eventually cracked about 1/2 the length top to bottom.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:37 AM   #6
Jawbox0
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 14

My Walmart still has clearance $15 5 gallon coolers. If I were you I'd just transfer my fittings over to a new one.

Tags
all grain, mash tun, repair