Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Caramel Amber Ale

Old 02-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #521
ShottyJohnson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just made this on Saturday and hit 1.068 OG. Also used WLP0041 Pacific Ale yeast since it was past expiration and needed to be used. Made a 1L starter of it and it is fermenting crazily. It smells wonderful and I can't wait to get this one kegged! Thanks OP!

Old 02-27-2013, 12:52 AM   #522
tmoney645
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Mashing as I type. I love Ambers, hopefully mine turns out as well as others. This thread has some of my favorite beer pr0n.

edit: wow, my homemade candi sugar was a fail. I did half/half with cane sugar and brown sugar instead. I hit the OG dead one, hopefully the taste is in the neighborhood.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #523
2xbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI

Nice, be sure to report back. I let it go a month in primary then racked to secondary with some gelatin and left it there for a week before kegging.
Im kind of new at this and going to try this beer as my third ever batch. When u say " racked to secondary with some gelatin" what do u mean and what is gelatin used for and why? Thanks for recipe going to brew it tommorrow.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #524
shadows69
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Gelatin helps clear up home brew. It is often racked to secondary on top of gelatin. Use one half the packet warmed then cooled down with a little water. Also when doing this process in the secondary give it at least a week before bottling/kegging.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:50 AM   #525
orangemen5
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 8

My LHBS sells the D-45 belgian candi syrup pouch. http://www.nthomebrew.com/products/D...ndi-Syrup.html. Is this close to what everyone is making. If it is its only 6.49 a Lb. for that price I'd rather buy it than spend an hour or so making it.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #526
relaxnrelapsen
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

i 've been dying to create a chestnut beer, based on a beer i had in france, (beer bourganel, bierre aux marrons). i believe it was an amber brewed with chestnuts and vanilla. how would the addition of chestnut be to this brew? i have puree, regular chestnuts i can roast and an extract.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:53 AM   #527
Weizer
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 19

This beer turned out excellent. I got a 1.070 OG and used white labs 001(brew shop was out of safale 05). Great head retention/lacing as well! I would like a little more malt/body, but this is an excellent beer. I will definitely brew it again soon!

Prost!
Bottled: HBC 342 XPA, WLP670 Saison
Kegged: Orange Blossom Honey Ale, Red Ale

Instagram: Ibleedhops

I shotgun heady topper.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:43 AM   #528
mufflerbearing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I am looking to brew this tomorrow 3-18-13. And have a campout and I want to take it to on 4-19-20-13. Will I have enough time to make this and keg and get it carbed up and it taste ok? Also I searched all over town looking for DAP all LHBS are out or don't carry it. Is the hard amber candy at brewmasters warehouse the same thing pretty much? If so I will grab a bag of it. Or see if they have the D-45. I need to get this in my primary ASAP! If it matters I will be going from primary to keg then force carbing. No secondary this time. Please and thank you. MB

Ahh. Also is 65 degrees crucial? I can keep 68-70 no prob but I have a hard time going lower. If it had to be lower I guess I could buy a fan and make a swamp cooler and see if that will do it if I had to.

Last edited by mufflerbearing; 03-18-2013 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Add yet another question.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #529
Ddubduder
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

For DAP look for Yeast Energizer, as for the candi syrup, I used D-90 and it came out good. It's been in the bottle now for about two weeks and the aroma is spot on but the taste is a little green, I think some time will help settle it. Not sure how force carbing will go since I haven't tried it yet, but this is my experience. Hope it helps.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #530
emprbasist
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufflerbearing
I am looking to brew this tomorrow 3-18-13. And have a campout and I want to take it to on 4-19-20-13. Will I have enough time to make this and keg and get it carbed up and it taste ok? Also I searched all over town looking for DAP all LHBS are out or don't carry it. Is the hard amber candy at brewmasters warehouse the same thing pretty much? If so I will grab a bag of it. Or see if they have the D-45. I need to get this in my primary ASAP! If it matters I will be going from primary to keg then force carbing. No secondary this time. Please and thank you. MB

Ahh. Also is 65 degrees crucial? I can keep 68-70 no prob but I have a hard time going lower. If it had to be lower I guess I could buy a fan and make a swamp cooler and see if that will do it if I had to.
I've fermented this around 68 before with no problems. I think you'll be fine