American Amber Ale Caramel Amber Ale - Page 43 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > American Amber Ale Caramel Amber Ale

Old 08-25-2012, 03:23 AM   #421
duckmanco
Recipes 

Sep 2010
VA
Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
Of course! I'd go with the D-45 for this recipe. But you'll be paying much more for it than if you made it.
I'll probably pay for the prepared stuff at the LHBS as well, but was also wondering on your thoughts about steeping or doing a hop stand on the flameout addition.

I normally do a 30 min stand of the flameout addition prior to chilling, but record the addition as a 20 min boil addition in Brewpal to account for some of the bitterness gained by steeping for the 30 min, and then of course I back of the bittering charge to keep the total IBU the same..... Is this something you do with this recipe as written or no?

Old 08-25-2012, 03:36 AM   #422
KingBrianI
Recipes 

May 2008
Durham, NC
Liked 108 Times on 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanco View Post
I'll probably pay for the prepared stuff at the LHBS as well, but was also wondering on your thoughts about steeping or doing a hop stand on the flameout addition.

I normally do a 30 min stand of the flameout addition prior to chilling, but record the addition as a 20 min boil addition in Brewpal to account for some of the bitterness gained by steeping for the 30 min, and then of course I back of the bittering charge to keep the total IBU the same..... Is this something you do with this recipe as written or no?
No, I recommend adding the hops at the listed times and chilling at flameout.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:50 AM   #423
duckmanco
Recipes 

Sep 2010
VA
Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply, and as you have it written, it will be done. Thanks again. This IS my next amber ale, right after NB's Single Hop Unkolsch and Denny's Rye IPA. So much to brew, so little time.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #424
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Jun 2011
Hayward, California
Liked 56 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI

No, I recommend adding the hops at the listed times and chilling at flameout.
I logged in to ask the exact same question! Its boiling away now!

Old 08-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #425
pvtschultz
Recipes 

Feb 2010
New Berlin, Wisconsin
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Well, I whipped up a batch of this about three weeks ago and am taking my first sips now. THe beer has been in the bottle for a couple days now so I know that it will mature some more, but my first impressions are holding up. I told the guys at work that if this beer tastes half as good cold and carbed as it did warm and flat, it is going to be a damned good beer. So far, this may be one of the best beers that I have ever made, and I've made many a fine HBT recipes over the years. It is incredibly hard to explain the taste of this one, but it is very good, not cloying, not bitter, and the hops really play well with the caramelized sugar. I'll give a better review in a few weeks after this one has had some time to mature, but I'll be submitting this one to competition soon because it is so good.

Thanks for sharing such a great recipe!
2016 Gallons Brewed: 10 :(
Gallons Brewed '11-'15: 319

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/pvt...inally-298407/

Old 08-29-2012, 12:50 AM   #426
KingBrianI
Recipes 

May 2008
Durham, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvtschultz View Post
Well, I whipped up a batch of this about three weeks ago and am taking my first sips now. THe beer has been in the bottle for a couple days now so I know that it will mature some more, but my first impressions are holding up. I told the guys at work that if this beer tastes half as good cold and carbed as it did warm and flat, it is going to be a damned good beer. So far, this may be one of the best beers that I have ever made, and I've made many a fine HBT recipes over the years. It is incredibly hard to explain the taste of this one, but it is very good, not cloying, not bitter, and the hops really play well with the caramelized sugar. I'll give a better review in a few weeks after this one has had some time to mature, but I'll be submitting this one to competition soon because it is so good.

Thanks for sharing such a great recipe!
If you think it's good now, wait until it's been in the bottle for a couple more weeks!

Old 08-30-2012, 03:04 AM   #427
dannedry
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Mason, MI
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Holy Crap! Thanks for posting this recipe KING... a few hours and several brews later, I think I've found my Labor Day Weekend project. Looks like a beautiful pint.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:15 AM   #428
egravy81
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2011
Denver, CO
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I want to chime in and say this has become a regular on tap at my house! I even bottled a batch last week that was requested by my friend's fioncee for their wedding next month!

~Michael Pollan

GregInMD Likes This 
Old 08-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #429
dannedry
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Mason, MI
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by egravy81 View Post
I want to chime in and say this has become a regular on tap at my house! I even bottled a batch last week that was requested by my friend's fioncee for their wedding next month!
Funny you say that, because I am brewing this on Saturday for a friend's wedding mid-October! 6 weeks should be long enough yes???

Old 08-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #430
KingBrianI
Recipes 

May 2008
Durham, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannedry View Post
6 weeks should be long enough yes???

Keep your ferment temps in the right range and it will be great at 6 weeks. Good luck!