American Amber Ale Caramel Amber Ale - Page 13 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > American Amber Ale Caramel Amber Ale

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #121
DrawTap88
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Joliet, IL
Posts: 1,066
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts


My only suggestion is to go one color below where you want to go, and then cool it off, since it will keep cooking a little bit.
__________________
Fermenting: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Porter, Double Chocolate Chipotle Porter
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #122
jm195907
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Athens OH
Posts: 30

haha well i just finished so I guess I'll have to wait and see. The color looks decent. Guess I won't know until I try the beer. Just another learning experience.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:28 AM   #123
CoalCracker
 
CoalCracker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Macungie, Pa
Posts: 1,704
Liked 106 Times on 65 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
I think it would be good. More floral and less citrusy but probably very tasty.
Don't you have that reversed? I thought Centennial was more citrus?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:36 AM   #124
jackers252
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
California, Maryland
Posts: 309
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DrawTap88 View Post
My only suggestion is to go one color below where you want to go, and then cool it off, since it will keep cooking a little bit.
Very good point, that is exactly what happened to mine.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:27 AM   #125
jm195907
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Athens OH
Posts: 30

Yeah that is what I ended up doing. It came out a bit light, but it looks like somewhere between 280 and 290ish. I didn't even think to look at my thermometer until it was already getting to boil and then realized it doesn't go that high, so I just said whatever and winged it. I think the beer will be fine.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:30 AM   #126
jackers252
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
California, Maryland
Posts: 309
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jm195907 View Post
Yeah that is what I ended up doing. It came out a bit light, but it looks like somewhere between 280 and 290ish. I didn't even think to look at my thermometer until it was already getting to boil and then realized it doesn't go that high, so I just said whatever and winged it. I think the beer will be fine.
Trust me, you would have known if you went much above 290. I did that on my first batch and it came out thin and uber-better!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:00 AM   #127
KingBrianI
 
KingBrianI's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Durham, NC
Posts: 3,514
Liked 110 Times on 70 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCracker View Post
Don't you have that reversed? I thought Centennial was more citrus?
I find centennial very floral with some citrus while chinook have a bigger citrus component to me with lots of herby and piney notes. Everyone tastes and smells something different though and I think the addition of centennial to this beer would be a fine substitution for the chinook.
__________________
I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:33 AM   #128
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
illinois
Posts: 1,883
Liked 159 Times on 135 Posts


Hey King Brian: I have a comment, and a question.

Comment: This beer was very popular, and I will certainly be making it again. But the sugar, combined with the low mash temp, made for a very dry (1.008) finish to the fermentation. Not a problem, but it leads to my question:

Would there be any benefit to a slightly higher mash temp? Might bring out the "amber" a bit more. Have you tried that, or am I thinking all wrong about this?

Anyway, like I said, very popular. My sister-in-law couldn't keep her hands off the stuff. One in every crowd, I guess.

My sister, on the other hand, took one sip and exclaimed "Wow, that's bitter!" I guess there's one of those in every crowd too.

Cheers!
__________________
~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:20 AM   #129
KingBrianI
 
KingBrianI's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Durham, NC
Posts: 3,514
Liked 110 Times on 70 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by frazier View Post
Hey King Brian: I have a comment, and a question.

Comment: This beer was very popular, and I will certainly be making it again. But the sugar, combined with the low mash temp, made for a very dry (1.008) finish to the fermentation. Not a problem, but it leads to my question:

Would there be any benefit to a slightly higher mash temp? Might bring out the "amber" a bit more. Have you tried that, or am I thinking all wrong about this?

Anyway, like I said, very popular. My sister-in-law couldn't keep her hands off the stuff. One in every crowd, I guess.

My sister, on the other hand, took one sip and exclaimed "Wow, that's bitter!" I guess there's one of those in every crowd too.

Cheers!
Mashing higher would definitely add more body and perhaps a little sweetness. If you up the crystal a bit you will get both body and sweetness. Or you could lessen the bittering charge slightly for more percieved sweetness. Or, of course, you could use a less attenuative yeast strain and that will give you sweetness and body too. As you can see, there are several ways to skin that cat. Just go with whatever feels right to you.
__________________
I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:14 AM   #130
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
illinois
Posts: 1,883
Liked 159 Times on 135 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
Just go with whatever feels right to you.
Well, I'll have to ponder the possibilities. One thing I won't be doing though, is reducing the hops. Those were great.

__________________
~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
substitute for Chinook? in caramel amber ale BowAholic Recipes/Ingredients 5 04-21-2015 06:32 PM
Adding Caramel to Amber Ale burninator Recipes/Ingredients 10 10-25-2014 01:42 AM
Having issues with amber ales and lack of caramel flavor.. eluterio All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 16 09-13-2013 03:34 PM
Caramel simple syrup in secondary.. will caramel flavor stay? michgan241 Fermentation & Yeast 1 02-27-2013 04:39 AM
First Brew. Can I add hops and caramel taste to given Amber Ale ingredients? ReggieDunlop Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 14 07-13-2012 02:46 PM


Forum Jump