Originally Posted by DMCarson
Today I did the "initial" cut of the first vines to start growing, giving some more energy to back to the roots prior to allowing the second set of vines to go and keep growing. Several of them had almost 10 starter vines and they were the healthy dark brown instead of the beginner, immature light green vines. This will be a great season I think, just need to drop them into the ground this week with some bags of manure under them.
NEARLY A MONTH LATER:
I dug out the location of where the hops will be put into the ground. It was good I got to it. I would have to say that the first season in the containers I would still recommend but would have to say that immediately after the season ends...(if your in a zone like zone 9 that doesn't have to worry about frost) stick them in the ground when all is done in say...november. The roots as you will see below were very strong and developed and in search of more room. So much that they made their way into the ground through the drainage holes of the containers. This would not have been so bad if they could still drain but with roll of nickel size roots the holes were plugged. I luckily drip system water them sparingly and they werent too soaked by the time I got them out of the containers. I did lose one to it rotting from the moisture. So take a look at the photos below and lean from my mistakes and triumphs...>>>
Started out with digging out the trench, all the soil is basically clay because it was filler soil when the house plots/foundations were set.
I tossed in some gypsum and cultivated it into the clay to allow the clay to absorb water instead of repelling it.
next up some manure to help replenish the soil, I also evenly mixed 50/50 compost with the top soil(clay) with things like manure, soil amender, gypsum, and other 16-16-16 fertilizer to help feed the hops
as you can see the roots were flourishing prior to the season ending. I was very happy to get them out of the containers.