Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Making a large yeast starter

Old 03-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
BeerFerret
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Making a large yeast starter

I am planning to make a high-gravity IPA, and am currently about to make the yeast starter. Based on a Wyeast table on pg 68 of How to Brew, I figure I should make about 2-3 qts of 1.040 OG starter wort starting with 100 bil. cells from a Wyeast packet.

My question is this: if I only have a 2000 mL (a little over 2 qt) flask for the starter, how do I go about making such a large amount of starter wort? Should I try to do 2 qts of wort all at once and attach a blow-off tube? Or should I make 1 qt wort, decant off the bad beer 24 hrs later, then add another qt of starter wort to the yeast slurry? Or is there another approach not mentioned above?

I've never made a starter this large, so any advice would be appreciated!

Old 03-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
wscott823
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Are you putting this on a stir plate?

Bottled: Sparkling Ambrosia, Chai Graff, Cerberus Barleywine, Jamil's Evil Twin, Chinook IPA
Planned Brews: Devil's Serum (Golden Strong Ale)

Make Your Own Belgian Candi Syrup

Old 03-11-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
MBasile
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you use a stir plate or constant aeration you'll need less starter wort. From my understanding though, the proper way to step up a starter is to take out a large portion of the yeast after each step, this way they actually grow up the number of cells in each step.

However, for the lager starter I did the other week (for a 1.069 maibock) I just put a little under a gallon of starter wort into my carboy and pitched the yeast. When it came time to pitch the yeast for the brew I decanted the gigantic starter and put the (cooled to pitching temp) wort into that same carboy.

Total gallons in 2012: 10

Old 03-11-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
permo
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I recently stepped up a starter from 1 quart to 1 gallon, I did this 1 quart increments. I just added a quart of 1.040 wort to a 1 gallon carboy/jug 4 times. I added each time the first ferment was finished. I then cold crashed it and collected a ton of nice clean, and healthy yeast.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
wscott823
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
I recently stepped up a starter from 1 quart to 1 gallon, I did this 1 quart increments. I just added a quart of 1.040 wort to a 1 gallon carboy/jug 4 times. I added each time the first ferment was finished. I then cold crashed it and collected a ton of nice clean, and healthy yeast.
+1 Did that for my Arrogant Bastard clone recently, worked pretty well for me as I'm still building my stir plate.

Bottled: Sparkling Ambrosia, Chai Graff, Cerberus Barleywine, Jamil's Evil Twin, Chinook IPA
Planned Brews: Devil's Serum (Golden Strong Ale)

Make Your Own Belgian Candi Syrup