Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > painting 2 rooms

Old 11-22-2006, 03:13 AM   #21
todd_k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 21

here are some more pics:

view from eat-in kitchen out into the living room. the shared wall is on the right.

view from kitchen cabinets out toward door to garage, dining room is to the left. Floyd is bottom right.

view from fireplace looking towards kitchen. shared wall is on the left.

view of an evil yet overheated-looking Floyd.

Old 11-22-2006, 03:17 AM   #22
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Looks real nice, Todd!

I guess I'm more convinced that the shared wall wants to all be a neutral color, maybe the parchment that rdwj suggested. The tough part of doing two colors is where they connect; a straight line would look odd, there isn't really a natural break. I don't think you can have two different colors, it needs to be one color that will work with whatever you put on the fireplace wall and in the kitchen.

Looks like a nice house - how old is it?

And Floyd looks like a good dog; is he the Hurricane?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 11-22-2006, 03:20 AM   #23
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd just paint that one wall one color. Use accent colors on the other walls.

Old 11-22-2006, 03:32 AM   #24
todd_k

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Looks real nice, Todd!

I guess I'm more convinced that the shared wall wants to all be a neutral color, maybe the parchment that rdwj suggested. The tough part of doing two colors is where they connect; a straight line would look odd, there isn't really a natural break. I don't think you can have two different colors, it needs to be one color that will work with whatever you put on the fireplace wall and in the kitchen.

Looks like a nice house - how old is it?

And Floyd looks like a good dog; is he the Hurricane?
Yeah, a break would look weird. We're suppose to go buy paint on Saturday and we're still not sure what colors to go with.

The house was built in 1997.

Yes, that would be Hurricane Floyd. He isn't as much of a spaz as he was a couple years ago (he'll be 3 in January) but he can still cause a lot of trouble. Tonight was his first trip to the new house, he freaked when got inside and ran around. I ran upstairs and he went around the downstairs looking for me before he figured out he had to climb the stairs too. After that, he started whining for the rest of the night. He's a PITA.

Old 11-22-2006, 03:35 AM   #25
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 704 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I have nothing useful to add, but I'm getting a happy buzz on homebrew, and I thought I'd take it out on this thread.

Apparently the male color palette has expanded! Most guys (myself included) can only recognize 9 colors: red, blue, yellow, green, orange, purple, white, black, brown. If you want to be a show-off, triple the number by adding "light" or "dark" to the front of each one. Add one more for "baby $hit."

Here's a list of "colors" mentioned in this thread that I haven't the faintest how to picture: wine, Washington Apple, cream, beige, neutral, cobalt, chocolate, topue, parchment, autumn leaves, earth tones. I'm pretty sure that list roughly translates into: we want to do some sort of wholistic experiment this fall by eating expensive food off of old paper.

Perhaps SWMBO is right...I'm an insensitive bastard.

Oh yeah, nice house, man!

Reason: typo...or something like that

Old 11-22-2006, 04:20 AM   #26
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Yuri, you're the only one who mentioned "toupe." I don't know what f_cking color "toupe" is. I really don't.

Do you have something you would like to share with us?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 11-22-2006, 04:22 AM   #27
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj
I'd use a topue, but VERY light yellow would work too - almost like a parchment color.
One of the two of us misspelled. Maybe both.

EDIT: After asking SWMBO, here's what I found out: the intent was probably taupe, which is brown. Toupe apparently comes in several varieties, namely, blonde, brunette, and redhead, which are also all brown. Stupid spell checker.

Old 11-22-2006, 05:47 AM   #28
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
...Apparently the male color palette has expanded! Most guys (myself included) can only recognize 9 colors: red, blue, yellow, green, orange, purple, white, black, brown. If you want to be a show-off, triple the number by adding "light" or "dark" to the front of each one. Add one more for "baby $hit."...Here's a list of "colors" mentioned in this thread that I haven't the faintest how to picture: wine, Washington Apple, cream, beige, neutral, cobalt, chocolate, topue, parchment, autumn leaves, earth tones. I'm pretty sure that list roughly translates into: we want to do some sort of wholistic experiment this fall by eating expensive food off of old paper...
Actually, there are only 3 colors, the primaries: red, yellow and blue.

The secondary colors are a mixure of the one next to it on the color wheel; i.e., red and yellow become orange, yellow and blue become green, blue and red become purple.

Orange is the "complementary color" of blue, green to red, and purple to yellow. That's why we see these colors and they work/look good together.

All the other "colors" are just various mixtures of those 3 primary colors.

Add white (the absence of dark pigment) to any of those combinations and you have "tints".

Add black (the absence of light pigment) to any combination and you have "tones". These are called "colorful greys".

Both of these catagories are where your "fancy" names are used to describe your new "colors".

In the end, as in the beginning, there are only 3 colors.

Old 11-22-2006, 05:50 AM   #29
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

You're right, there ARE only three colors! Pale, amber, and dark.