Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > just racked to secondary

Old 11-21-2006, 06:40 AM   #1
grrtt78
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default just racked to secondary

i just racked my beer from my primary to my secondary. it has been about 4.5 to 5 days and the krausen(or watever) has fallen. it is in a glass carboy with an airlock. how long should i leave it? also is the taste i got when i siphoned the way my beer is goin to taste?

Old 11-21-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

They say you should follow the one two three rule: one week in the primary, two weeks in the secondary, and three weeks conditioning in bottles. The way it tasted gives you a ballpark idea of the final taste, but it will change and improve significantly over time. Plus, you tasted it when it was warm and flat, so you know it will be better in that way, at least.

#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 11-21-2006, 02:42 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1263 Times on 833 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Give it at least two weeks in secondary. It may not even be done fermenting completely and you'll want to let all the particulates settle out before you bottle. The only batch I've done so far that tasted good when racking was my Killian's clone lager. My first two ales tasted pretty harshly bitter but were pretty good after bottle aging a month. I know you're anxious but start planning your next batch if you must play.
July 4th Sale, $20 off plate chillers through July 4th.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:15 PM   #4
fezzman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
I know you're anxious but start planning your next batch if you must play.
Excellent advice. So far I've not actually enjoyed any of my pre-conditioned samples. I quit trying to use that to judge the final flavor of the beer. Your beer will turn out great. Just plan a new batch and try to forget about the current one for a few weeks.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:42 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

The worst thing you can do to your beer is drink it green. Racking it early and bottling early will not make it age faster. Your fermenter is empty, so what are you waiting for? Start another batch.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-21-2006, 03:48 PM   #6
Brewpilot
Recipes 

Good advice... I am starting my oatmeal nut stout as my raspberry ale is conditioning in the secondary!

Old 11-21-2006, 04:08 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Notice I said "planning" and not "brewing". Unless you've got multiple secondaries, you'll be tempted to bottle your existing batch too early in order to free up your secondary for the new batch. I already have an order in for another secondary vessel for this very reason (especially when you start doing lagers), but with only a single primary and secondary, the tightest schedule you should try is two weeks between brews (which represents the minimum time a batch sits in secondary). I call this the "bottle n' rack" schedule. Each week goes:

brew1
rack1
brew2
bottle1/rack2
brew3
bottle2/rack3

etc

Old 11-21-2006, 07:42 PM   #8
uglygoat

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

buy more carboys!

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 11-21-2006, 07:55 PM   #9
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I hear that. I only have one six gallon carboy right now, but I have plans to get at least two more in the near future. It's like driving a Pinto and hanging out with guys in Porsches.
#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 11-22-2006, 01:41 AM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

As of the UPS delivery today, I've got two 6.5g buckets one primary/one bottling, two 5 gal better bottles (secondaries), and one 6g better bottle so I can watch yeast a churnin on a batch or two.

By the way, brewbyu.com has 5g better bottles for $17.