Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > So I am using my Shirron for the first time Friday...
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
Shwagger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Gulfport, Fl
Posts: 115
Default So I am using my Shirron for the first time Friday...

2 questions:

I live in Florida, and our hose water usually isnt very cold. Can I submerge the plate chiller in a cooler full of ice water instead of running the garden hose through it?


And I use a SS mesh tea ball for my hops to keep the particulate out. Should I strain anymore before running it through the chiller?

TY and I am sure this has been asked before, so I apologize for redundancy


__________________
I am swinging wildly at brewing...

Shwagger Brewery
Gulfport, Fl
Shwagger is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
GilaMinumBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 51,480
Liked 5687 Times on 4981 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default

We don't answer Shirron questions til' Saturday.


Try it and see what you get, then go from there. Lots have asked about ice vcooling their PC's but I don't think anyone actuall has.

As to the particulate, if the PC plugs, try something else.

If when done brewing. You find while cleaning you get a lot of trash out of the PC. Try something different next time.

There are lots of solution to dealing with PC issues. Some work great for others. Some not.


GilaMinumBeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 5,423
Liked 60 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

Unless you have some way of moving the cold water through the channels I doubt it will work. Go to Harbor Freight if you have one nearby and get a pond pump and push the ice water through after you have brought the temps down first pass with ground water.
samc is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
Shwagger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Gulfport, Fl
Posts: 115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
Unless you have some way of moving the cold water through the channels I doubt it will work. Go to Harbor Freight if you have one nearby and get a pond pump and push the ice water through after you have brought the temps down first pass with ground water.
i figured if it is submerged in the ice water, the water will move through the channels on its on. Laws of physics say hot moves toward cold


I actually have no idea
__________________
I am swinging wildly at brewing...

Shwagger Brewery
Gulfport, Fl
Shwagger is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
GilaMinumBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 51,480
Liked 5687 Times on 4981 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwagger View Post
i figured if it is submerged in the ice water, the water will move through the channels on its on. Laws of physics say hot moves toward cold


I actually have no idea
Huh?

So, you don't plan to run cold water through the chiller by pressure at all?
GilaMinumBeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:08 PM   #6
Shwagger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Gulfport, Fl
Posts: 115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Huh?

So, you don't plan to run cold water through the chiller by pressure at all?
no, see thats what I was initially asking.

Hoping it would work by just submerging it in 10g of ice water instead of pumping the water. Cold water will go into the holes via gravity, and hopefully thermodynamics takes over from there
__________________
I am swinging wildly at brewing...

Shwagger Brewery
Gulfport, Fl
Shwagger is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
GilaMinumBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 51,480
Liked 5687 Times on 4981 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwagger View Post
no, see thats what I was initially asking.

Hoping it would work by just submerging it in 10g of ice water instead of pumping the water. Cold water will go into the holes via gravity, and hopefully thermodynamics takes over from there
Nope. Need more flow than that brother. All that would do is heat the water inside the chiller to match the wort.

Sure, there would be some thermodynamic flow but not as profound as you are thinking.
GilaMinumBeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
Shwagger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Gulfport, Fl
Posts: 115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Nope. Need more flow than that brother. All that would do is heat the water inside the chiller to match the wort.

Sure, there would be some thermodynamic flow but not as profound as you are thinking.
awsome sir, thats what I needed to know


__________________
I am swinging wildly at brewing...

Shwagger Brewery
Gulfport, Fl
Shwagger is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Twittering another 1 bbl brewday, Friday 10/22. I mean it this time. Gordie General Beer Discussion 3 10-23-2009 07:44 PM
Shirron Connections auto Equipment/Sanitation 2 04-26-2008 03:41 AM
Shirron Tony Equipment/Sanitation 14 04-08-2006 04:08 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS