HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - This is it - Final Weekend to Enter!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Final Weekend!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk Forums > Introductions > Hi all

Old 11-20-2006, 07:51 PM   #1
zoebisch01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Hi all

Well, I brewed an extract batch about a month ago. I just brewed my first AG oatmeal stout this past weekend. Got a low extraction, but I kind of figured I would ( I had a second hand grinder that just didn't work how I thought it might, but it was only a few bucks, so the Cuisinart was the only thing that half way worked...well I asked for it by putting myself into that situation, but hey live and learn lol). So needless to say, the maltmill is on order, lol. Looking forward to chatting here. I am into so many things, it was only a matter of time till I hit homebrew. I also just bottled some cider that I fermented this fall. I am a tremendous diy-selfer, but unfortunately don't have the time right now (nor the facilities) to build things like malt mills hehe, so I had to bite the bullet. This is fun stuff. I am an avid gardener, so hops will be ordered this spring. I would grow the grain too, but malting it and cleaning it are just not cost effective enough, and on a small scale not worth it imo (although you never know, I might just try it for the fun of it...maybe enough to do a 5 gallon batch or something). Needless to say, I am really into this.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:46 PM   #2
Hippie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Welcome aboard! Look forward to hearing your exploits...

Old 11-22-2006, 10:47 AM   #3
WAGNER BREWING
Recipes 

Wish I had the guts to go straight into AG. Congrats and welcome!

Primary #1: I'll be Bock

Primary #2: Ash Red Lager

Secondary: Empty

Bottled: Rengaw Leaf Stout

Up Next: Unsure...

Thinking About: Banana Spice(?), Scottish Ale

Old 11-22-2006, 12:52 PM   #4
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Old 11-23-2006, 12:48 PM   #5
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Wow, you sound pretty hard-core (growing hops and wheat). I've yet to go all grain--decided to go the kegging route first.

There are a lot of friendly and helpful people on this board, some who like to get together for brew sessions and the occasional drink, where are you from?

Old 11-29-2006, 12:41 PM   #6
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I am located in the heart of Pennsylvania. (Centre County). I tend to do just about everything I can by myself. Not sure why, I guess I just like to have control over the processes. Trying to get to the point where I grow and raise most of my own food. The garden is about 5,000 sq. ft. (fenced in but not completely planted...yet) and I can easily expand to meet my needs. The one thing I have found is the fresher and less processed the ingredients are, the better (imho). Hence the reason why I looked into growing the grains and all that jazz (and the reason I jumped right into AG). The problem is finding a method of cleaning any roots or endosperm from the germinated malt, which would require equipment (most likely homemade). Well maybe one of these days when I get the time...hehe. Anyways thanks again for the welcomes!

[edit] sorry I said endosperm, when it should be acrospire [/edit]