michigan predators spring brew day 5-01-2010 - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes Homebrew Forum > michigan predators spring brew day 5-01-2010

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2010, 07:48 PM   #11
Zombie13
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Grand Rapids
Posts: 29

I REALLY want to at least come and watch, especially since I can practically roll over and land in Rockford (being in Sparta and all). It's on my calendar.

Z.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:30 PM   #12
eriktlupus
 
eriktlupus's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Cereal City, USA
Posts: 2,618
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts


bumpity bump
__________________
primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS


join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #13
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Posts: 30,642
Liked 4765 Times on 3217 Posts


Argh... I wanted to bring my IIPA, which was tasting real good going into the secondary for dry hop. But I was stupid and went right from dry hopping to the bottling bucket and got a LOT of "Gunk" in the bottles. I probably should have siphoned into another vessel and cold crashed before bottling.

Live and learn. Might have some Stout ready by then. My Centennial Blonde wasn't terribly great this time either. A little cloudy. The taste is "ok", but I think there is something going on in there that I just can't place. Maybe I'll bring some and see if anyone can pinpoint it for me. I've certainly brewed that recipe better before.
__________________
Day after day, it reappears. Night after night my heartbeat shows the fear. Ghosts appear and fade away. Come back another day.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:18 AM   #14
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
FSR402's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Jenison, MI
Posts: 2,827
Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts


Hop gunk or trub gunk?
__________________
TWO FISTED BREWING CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:26 PM   #15
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Posts: 30,642
Liked 4765 Times on 3217 Posts


I think it's hop gunk. Some of it look like thick fluffy "worms" laying on the bottom of the bottle. Some of it looks like bits of hops.

Except for the taste right before bottling, I would be disappointed in this batch. Why? Because I was striving for a 1/2 batch to test a smaller MLT. And this way I could experiment more often without having a ton of beer going to waste. But I needed two mashes in the small MLT to get the gravity up, and by the time I got done I only had about 2 gallons, maybe less.

But at least I have learned some more and next time I will do a full batch and if it turns up as good, I will remember to let the thing settle out after dry-hopping.

I will just let this batch sit for a few weeks and then I'll drink them. There is nothing in there that can hurt me, right? Just have to pour VERY carefully.
__________________
Day after day, it reappears. Night after night my heartbeat shows the fear. Ghosts appear and fade away. Come back another day.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:38 PM   #16
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
FSR402's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Jenison, MI
Posts: 2,827
Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I think it's hop gunk. Some of it look like thick fluffy "worms" laying on the bottom of the bottle. Some of it looks like bits of hops.

Except for the taste right before bottling, I would be disappointed in this batch. Why? Because I was striving for a 1/2 batch to test a smaller MLT. And this way I could experiment more often without having a ton of beer going to waste. But I needed two mashes in the small MLT to get the gravity up, and by the time I got done I only had about 2 gallons, maybe less.

But at least I have learned some more and next time I will do a full batch and if it turns up as good, I will remember to let the thing settle out after dry-hopping.

I will just let this batch sit for a few weeks and then I'll drink them. There is nothing in there that can hurt me, right? Just have to pour VERY carefully.
Noe nothing that can hurt you.

Next time wrap a paint strainer bag over the end of your racking cane and that will filter out the hops.
__________________
TWO FISTED BREWING CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:22 PM   #17
eriktlupus
 
eriktlupus's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Cereal City, USA
Posts: 2,618
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts


hey this isn't a beer help thread folks!

speaking of which i did narrow that bandaid down to the hoses. no trouble since i switched to silicone.
__________________
primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS


join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:44 PM   #18
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Posts: 30,642
Liked 4765 Times on 3217 Posts


You are right, Erik. I get carried away sometimes.

So, what's everyone bringing for food to this thing? You know that they Second most important consideration!
__________________
Day after day, it reappears. Night after night my heartbeat shows the fear. Ghosts appear and fade away. Come back another day.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:47 PM   #19
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
FSR402's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Jenison, MI
Posts: 2,827
Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
You are right, Erik. I get carried away sometimes.

So, what's everyone bringing for food to this thing? You know that they Second most important consideration!
I'm bringing a smoker and will be smoking up some meat. May do some ribs, maybe a fatty (bacon wrapped goodness) perhaps some ABT's.. Not 100% sure yet other then it will be smoked.
__________________
TWO FISTED BREWING CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #20
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
FSR402's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Jenison, MI
Posts: 2,827
Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts


bump.......

Added name list to OP.
__________________
TWO FISTED BREWING CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Md Brew Day - January 2010 Ryan_PA North East Homebrew Forum 414 01-21-2010 01:19 PM
SPRING BREAK 2010 - Where to go along the way to NYC SeamusMac General Chit Chat 15 01-20-2010 01:04 PM
1st Annual Michigan Predators Autumn Brew Day Saturday, 9-26-09 HenryHill Great Lakes Homebrew Forum 192 10-06-2009 01:38 AM
michigan predators brewday V?? 08-22-09 FSR402 Great Lakes Homebrew Forum 25 08-24-2009 01:58 PM
michigan predators gathering eriktlupus Great Lakes Homebrew Forum 15 08-10-2009 07:32 PM


Forum Jump