So I brewed an APA last Saturday. Once I got it to pitching temps, I dumped it in the fermenter (Ale Pail), put the lid on, and shook the hell out of it. I then removed the lid, poured my dry yeast over the top of the foamy mess below, put the lid back on, and set it aside to ferment. Usually I would shake it again to make sure the yeast finds liquid, this time I did not. Days went by without any bubbles, but I decided to be patient.
Well on Thursday, after seeing no activity yet, I finally decided to pop the top and investigate. As I suspected, there was no sign of krausen and the hydro sample revealed no activity. There were, however, two little bits of mold floating on the top. So i did what any good brewer would do. Dump it? Hell no. I sanitized a spoon and scooped the mold off. I then closed it back up, gave a good swirl to try and rouse the yeast, and left it alone. Next day, active fermentation!
I think once the bubbles from aerating the wort subsided, it just gently lay the yeast on top of wort and never got them mixed in. When I scooped the mold, the top layer seemed (for lack of a better word) "chunky" of "goopy" like there could have been a think yeast slurry on top. Then with no CO2 to purge the air, this sugary solution started to mold.
I plan to let it continue on its merry way and taste it once its finished. Do you think I need to worry about a further infection? Would there be an concern with bottling this batch once it's done? Has anyone ever added yeast so gently that fermentation didn't start?