Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Newbie questions I haven't seen answered yet

Old 03-08-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
Zombie13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Newbie questions I haven't seen answered yet

...although I haven't looked overly hard....

So, I started brewing about 3 months ago and I LOVE it!!!! I have 2 batches under my belt, as well as some Lemonade and some Mead. Some questions that I've yet to get answered clearly are:

1) My first batch, a Brewer's best Smoked Porter, turned out really well, but now the bottles are INCREDIBLY foamy. I pop one open and if I don't drink or pour it immediately, I have a geyser. So I pour it, and pretty much immediately get a glass full of foam, with the bottle still overflowing with foam. Eventually it subsides and tastes fine, but it is fairly annoying. Is there anything I can do about this? The beer is already pretty chilled when I open it so.... Should I be concerned about it?

2) I made a batch of hard lemonade what was delicious, but it was still. I want to make another batch sparkling, but I am concerned about making bottle bombs. The recipe I *loosely* followed (I believe it was YooperBrews) listed OG and said what FG he liked it at, but no mention of bottling or stopping fermentation that I could find. I know I can back-sweeten it once fermentation is complete with a non-fermentable, but what about bottling and carbing?

Sorry if these have already been answered, and thanks for the help.

Z.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Yoop is a her.......... If your beer tastes fine I am thinking maybe over carbed and I'd be concerned with bottle bombs.
As for the lemonade, I would ferment it out dry, then add a non fermentable sweetener ( splenda) to taste then prime and bottle with corn sugar.
I am a rookie so take this advice with that in mind.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 03-08-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
Zombie13
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
Yoop is a her.
Oops.... my bad. Sorry. No offence meant.

I thought about the over-carb, but since it was a kit and not just me getting ingredients, I wasn't sure that would be accurate.

Z.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
joey11bball
Recipes 

It may have been over carbed because fermentation was not complete before you bottled it. I think the biggest mistake beginners make is using a time line for your brewing. Instead of fermenting for a certain amount of time, take hydrometer readings, and when you see that the hydrometer reading is the same over a few days its done fermenting and time to bottle or rack to secondary.

As far as I know there is nothing you can do to reduce carbonation once it has already happened. But as OHIOSTEVE said be careful for bottle bombs.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Put them all in the fridge, that'll stop the yeast and you won't have bombs.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 03-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
pkeeler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

When you use a lot of foam positive ingredients, you get a large head. Have you seen a Guinness poured? My first brown beer was like that, tasted good though. I'd suggest getting a couple of 23 oz pilsner glasses.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hold on folks, how long has the porter been in the bottles?

Old 03-08-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
Zombie13
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLObrewer View Post
Hold on folks, how long has the porter been in the bottles?
2 months? Give or take a week. IIRC I bottled 1/2/2010.

Z.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:20 PM   #9
slowbie
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When you say your bottles are "pretty chilled" before you open them, what does that mean? If you're not already, refrigerating them overnight or longer may help. Otherwise, I think the Brewer's best kits give you 5 oz. of priming sugar, which in some cases can be too much, but in my experience has not caused problems as severe as yours.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
Zombie13
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbie View Post
When you say your bottles are "pretty chilled" before you open them, what does that mean?
Several hours to several days in the fridge. Sometimes in a freezer-chilled glass, more often in a 16oz 'Coca-Cola' glass.

Z.