Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Aerating Wort

Old 03-09-2010, 11:13 PM   #31
goose1873
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

pump $10

o2 tank $10

besides the valve which is <10 bucks or free if you own a propane tank everything else is the same...and you should actually have an in-line air filter for the pump. This makes the cost very similar (w/in 5 bucks) if you DIY.

I just like 1 minute vs. 30 and the tank lasts 20-30 batches, so additional tanks will eventually cost you another 10 bucks a pop.

both work, i just wanted to say my O2 system is under 20 bucks and therefore very affordable...

Old 03-09-2010, 11:19 PM   #32
goose1873
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

oh, and just toss a couple stainless steel washers on the hose before connecting the air-stone and it will keep it in on the bottom..

I actually found a 30" ss tube for $4.50 at the hardware store and now just thread the airhose through it and connect the air stone on the other side. just a way of making a cheap wand but the washers work very well and are the least expensive way.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:31 PM   #33
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400d View Post
I never aerate... and I have crazy fermentations... I mostly use dry yeast (S-04 or US-05) and handle gravities up to 1.060
That's because dry yeast does NOT require oxygen, as liquid yeast does. It's one of the biggest myths in homebrewing.

"No, there is no need to aerate the wort but it does not harm the yeast either. During its aerobic production, dry yeast accumulates sufficient amounts of unsaturated fatty acids and sterols to produce enough biomass in the first stage of fermentation. The only reason to aerate the wort when using wet yeast is to provide the yeast with oxygen so that it can produce sterols and unsaturated fatty acids which are important parts of the cell membrane and therefore essential for biomass production.

It doesn't hurt, but is absolutely unnecessary.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:57 PM   #34
D-Ring
Recipes 

There is another post around hear that talks about using an in-line pipe (I use a broken bottling wand) with holes melted in it placed in your siphone hose. The venturi effect along with splashing always gives me 3 inches of foam. I don't have any issues with my AG fermentations

Old 03-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #35
BigdogMark
Recipes 

Default Wyzazz is right!

At the Soggy Bottom Brewery we just whip the wort into a pre-fermentation frenzy in the boil keggle while at the same time whirlpooling the hops and break material to the center of the pot. During the cool down phase I use our paint paddle (vertical paddle type, not screw kind) to maintain movement in the wort over the chiller coils. I use a 1/2 drill that runs slow and easily avoids introducing air to the wort (reason I don't use screw stirrer). When we hit 70 degrees the chiller comes out and the drill goes to full speed. It literally whips the wort up into a frothy mass with a high speed whirlpool at the same time. We then let the keggle sit for 30 minutes while prepping yeast before draining into our two fermentation buckets. We use dry yeast now, but used liquid in the past and have had vigorous fermentations requiring blow-off tubes.

We tried the air pump, sterile filter, SS aeration stone route and it was just a hassle. It took longer, and the damn stone kept clogging up for some reason. At this point we don't see any reason to do more than required to make great beer.

On another note, the weather is almost right for us to get our bottom's soggy again. That is what we do in Texas to stay cool, sit in a tube in a river and watch the bikinis float by. The next challenge is to get the brewery on the river with us...

On Tap: Golden Strong Belgian, Blonde
Fermenting: Belgian Blonde, AppleWine

Old 03-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #36
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
At this point we don't see any reason to do more than required to make great beer.
If you're using dry yeast there is no need to aerate at all.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 03-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #37
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just get yourself one of these and stick it to the end of your hose when you're racking. It aerates like mad!

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 03-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #38
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank99 View Post
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/22_AE...D_P490C106.cfm

Get this and a $10 aquarium pump at Walmart.

I don't think you need an oxygen tank. It's just another added expense IMO
Just to reiterate: Using an aquarium pump with a stone is pretty much a waste of time and money. You get the same amount of oxygen in the wort by just shaking the carboy and it doesn't take nearly as long. Pure O2 with a stone gives both other methods a kitn (kick in the...). They've done studies on this.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate