Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Popped The Top On First Batch Today....

Old 03-08-2010, 12:58 AM   #1
brewagentjay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Popped The Top On First Batch Today....

I popped the top on my first batch and......sppssssss.....after one week decent carb but small amount of head.....I wanted to check to help learn the process and the beer tastes at this stage...It's green....drinkable...

It's amazing the difference with little carb and no carb as I had a nice 6 oz sample for FG before bottling....

I thought damn this beer is gonna be great when I bottled it based on that sample.....

Now I'm curious how it will turn out as one week of in bottle has changed the taste dramatically.....

I'm hoping that it will mellow back toward the taste I had before bottling but who knows.

I recommend sampling your beer along the way at least first few batches to anyone.....I enjoy it so much that I know it will be a part of my process from now on......

Primary - Apfelwein v2, JChrapewein, Light Scottish Ale, SW 420 v2, Devil Dog Ale Version 2
Secondary - OxiClean
Just Bottled - Jay's Irish Stout
On Deck - The Orginal Fat Tire
Planning - "Hail to the Chief -IIPA", "The Straw Berry Blonde"
NTBA - Wicked Ale

Semper Fi

Old 03-08-2010, 01:02 AM   #2
goose1873
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

it is honestly amazing how much better it will get. I drank many of my early beers before they were ready until I realized how much better they become...I understand you are just testing, I'll i'm saying is it will be a whole different beer in 3 more weeks...

I truly believe the most important ingredient in brewing is time...

--enjoy and congrats

Old 03-08-2010, 01:06 AM   #3
brewagentjay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose1873 View Post
it is honestly amazing how much better it will get. I drank many of my early beers before they were ready until I realized how much better they become...I understand you are just testing, I'll i'm saying is it will be a whole different beer in 3 more weeks...

I truly believe the most important ingredient in brewing is time...

--enjoy and congrats
Thanks. I got 48 or so left so I'm sure I have alot that make it to 3 week mark. Only catch is I want to drink some on Saint Patties Day as that was what the beer was for.....

Right now I'm enjoying my SG samples and I'm enjoying tasting the different stages......I understand from all I have read on here that time is my friend. Don't tell my LHBS as all his kits are like bottle after 14 days.

Primary - Apfelwein v2, JChrapewein, Light Scottish Ale, SW 420 v2, Devil Dog Ale Version 2
Secondary - OxiClean
Just Bottled - Jay's Irish Stout
On Deck - The Orginal Fat Tire
Planning - "Hail to the Chief -IIPA", "The Straw Berry Blonde"
NTBA - Wicked Ale

Semper Fi

Old 03-08-2010, 01:17 AM   #4
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I was so amazed when I started that I never really gave the time needed for the brew to rightl mature ..

After 6 weeks, it would go FAST..

I remember discovering a bottle of brown ale that was hidden among empties..it had been there aby 3 months...

popped it into the fridge, and next day couldn't beleive how good it was ...

Great news abt the first batch..

Old 03-08-2010, 01:33 AM   #5
goose1873
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewagentjay View Post
Thanks. I got 48 or so left so I'm sure I have alot that make it to 3 week mark. Only catch is I want to drink some on Saint Patties Day as that was what the beer was for.....

Right now I'm enjoying my SG samples and I'm enjoying tasting the different stages......I understand from all I have read on here that time is my friend. Don't tell my LHBS as all his kits are like bottle after 14 days.
No worries! The first few batches usually don't last too long All I was pointing out is the it will truly amaze you how much better it will be once conditioned...Either way put a couple (2) away and crack them in another 6 weeks...just to see. Also be sure to refrigerate those last 2 for a week + before drinking...

chalk it up to an experiment

cheers