what is the most acurate type of thermometer? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > what is the most acurate type of thermometer?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2010, 12:15 AM   #1
nicknoty
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
ct - usa
Posts: 80


let's hear it



Reason: spelling

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:24 AM   #2
SporkD2
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 740
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


thermapen, you'll pay for it, but guarenteed within .1 +/-


__________________
None :(

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:44 AM   #3
nicknoty
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
ct - usa
Posts: 80

i just installe diy brass bulkhead thermo and sight glass combos on my rig and found out the ebay dial thermos turn independent of the probe so i need to get something good to calbrate them

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:59 AM   #4
PT Ray
Recipes 
 
Aug 2005
Posts: 1,373
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


What type of thermometer? As in digital or spring? I use both and they can drive me nuts. I can calibrate two identical thermometers, either at 212 or 32 and they'll give me different readings when measuring temps other then the calibration temp.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:05 AM   #5
nicknoty
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
ct - usa
Posts: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Ray View Post
What type of thermometer? As in digital or spring? I use both and they can drive me nuts. I can calibrate two identical thermometers, either at 212 or 32 and they'll give me different readings when measuring temps other then the calibration temp.
they are dial thrmos they were on ebay marketed for hvac techs


i will proly check at abeint temp around mash and near biol

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:31 AM   #6
KYB
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Posts: 1,556
Liked 45 Times on 29 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkD2 View Post
thermapen, you'll pay for it, but guarenteed within .1 +/-
How do you get a good reading if you can only measure the top 2-3 inches of the mash? It's warmer near the bottom.

I would say a hand-held with a Type K Thermocouple with a long enough probe.

http://thermoworks.com/products/handheld/index.html

Thermocouple Probes:
http://thermoworks.com/products/prob...netration.html

Btw, OP, I don't know what spelling you fixed, but it should say "hear".

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:44 AM   #7
scottlindner
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Colorado Springs
Posts: 173
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


I don't know which is the most accurate, but I can tell you which are the least. The cheap long stem compost dial thermometers. I used one of those for a long time, and recently discovered it's almost useless. I use it now to get a rough idea of my HLT temp when there's a blizzard outside while cowering inside.

Scott

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:12 AM   #8
SporkD2
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 740
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ODaniel View Post
How do you get a good reading if you can only measure the top 2-3 inches of the mash? It's warmer near the bottom.

I would say a hand-held with a Type K Thermocouple with a long enough probe.

http://thermoworks.com/products/handheld/index.html

Thermocouple Probes:
http://thermoworks.com/products/prob...netration.html

Btw, OP, I don't know what spelling you fixed, but it should say "hear".
Thats why you stir while taking your temp
__________________
None :(

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:19 AM   #9
KYB
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Posts: 1,556
Liked 45 Times on 29 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkD2 View Post
Thats why you stir while taking your temp
While important, stirring isn't going to perfectly equalize temps.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:19 AM   #10
PT Ray
Recipes 
 
Aug 2005
Posts: 1,373
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknoty View Post
they are dial thrmos they were on ebay marketed for hvac techs


i will proly check at abeint temp around mash and near biol
I should have made it clearer that it was the OP I was attempting to address.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hydrometer readin acurate after dextrose added? peachwein Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 03-03-2010 01:49 AM
insulation for thermometer in brew kettle? thermometer face fogging/gets too hot! chainsawbrewing Kettles, Mash Tuns & Hot Liquor Tanks 3 02-22-2010 03:12 PM
Floating thermometer or dial thermometer? nigel31 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 11-05-2009 11:59 AM
Co2 Vol for type ? Gabe Bottling/Kegging 3 05-14-2007 02:38 PM
Type of keg I can use? Spyderturbo Bottling/Kegging 2 06-28-2006 07:01 PM


Forum Jump