Just got an upright freezer and have a question - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators & Keezers > Just got an upright freezer and have a question

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
st0neski
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Cromwell, CT
Posts: 81


Just got an older upright freezer off craigslist and plan on converting to a kegerator.

This thing is only 4 feet tall so it would be perfect to have the taps on the top of the freezer and not on the door.

My question is how would I find out where the coolant lines are running? In upright freezers do the lines normally run through the top of it or just all around the sides? Is there anyway of finding this out?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
Dwain
 
Dwain's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Hill Country, TX
Posts: 1,135
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


There is pretty much no more "normal" any more. There are so many manufacturers competing for the dollars. On my chest freezer, I plugged it in from room temp and felt of the walls to decide where the lines ran. The skin will get hot right above the lines. Then there's this:

http://community.livejournal.com/hom...ng/413981.html

I'm sure others will jump in with suggestions. Luck - Dwain

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
st0neski
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Cromwell, CT
Posts: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwain View Post
There is pretty much no more "normal" any more. There are so many manufacturers competing for the dollars. On my chest freezer, I plugged it in from room temp and felt of the walls to decide where the lines ran. The skin will get hot right above the lines. Then there's this:

http://community.livejournal.com/hom...ng/413981.html

I'm sure others will jump in with suggestions. Luck - Dwain
Thanks a lot. That link is great. Dont want to mess up my freezer, hahaha.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
Zooom101
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Florida
Posts: 88
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Is it a chest style freezer, or a does it look like a mini-fridge but gets to freezer temps? If it is chest style, there won't be any lines in the top if you don't see any lines running into the lid. If it opens from the front, there's no telling. I would use the feel method.
__________________
Primary: Robust Porter from BCS.
Bottled/Kegged: Crappy Bock (my first brew!), IPA, Manny's Octoberfest, Paulaner Hefe-weizen clone (my first all-grain!), Ed's Honey Oatmeal Stout, Dos Equis clone, Pumpkin Spice Ale (my first ruined batch), American Red Ale, Angel Wings from BCS, Edworts Apfelwein, American Wheat from BCS,Terrapin Rye Pale Ale from CYBI, Munich Madness from BCS.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:16 AM   #5
st0neski
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Cromwell, CT
Posts: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooom101 View Post
Is it a chest style freezer, or a does it look like a mini-fridge but gets to freezer temps? If it is chest style, there won't be any lines in the top if you don't see any lines running into the lid. If it opens from the front, there's no telling. I would use the feel method.

not a chest, its an upright, but a small upright.

I plugged it in earlier and felt around for where it got cold. Looks like its on right in the front where there are lines on the top, so i should be good to drill towards the middle/back

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:18 AM   #6
Fletch
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
So Cal
Posts: 125
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Many upright freezers have the evaporator tubing running under the shelves, making them unmovable. I take it you've already checked that? If the evap tubes run in the walls, like a chest freezer, then you need to feel the outer skin with it running to locate the condenser tubes, though they're not likely to run through the top. If it's a frost-free, there will be an evap coil in the back wall, covered by a removable panel, with the condenser either on the back exterior or underneath (like most frost-free refrigerator/freezers) and again there will be no lines running through the top.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:42 AM   #7
Stickshaker
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Minnesota
Posts: 190
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


I would just drill slowly and carefully through the plastic liner. Then probe around with something to make sure there is nothing ugly in there.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #8
st0neski
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Cromwell, CT
Posts: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Many upright freezers have the evaporator tubing running under the shelves, making them unmovable. I take it you've already checked that? If the evap tubes run in the walls, like a chest freezer, then you need to feel the outer skin with it running to locate the condenser tubes, though they're not likely to run through the top. If it's a frost-free, there will be an evap coil in the back wall, covered by a removable panel, with the condenser either on the back exterior or underneath (like most frost-free refrigerator/freezers) and again there will be no lines running through the top.
Yeah, check the shelves before I bought it, they are all removable.

THere is no evap coil on the back so I would assume they are lining it somewhere. the evap tubes would create heat right?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:19 PM   #9
northernlad
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
NW
Posts: 1,628
Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts


I am going to be the odd man out and suggest calling the manufacturer or qualified local refrigeration repair.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:17 AM   #10
Stickshaker
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Minnesota
Posts: 190
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlad View Post
I am going to be the odd man out and suggest calling the manufacturer or qualified local refrigeration repair.
Er, yeah, that's what I meant to say...

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upright Freezer for Kegerator? BigWhitey_FrostBox Bottling/Kegging 13 05-21-2012 07:22 PM
Need Help Modifying an Upright Freezer I_B_Mongo Equipment/Sanitation 7 11-06-2009 05:45 PM
Upright freezer useful..? beergears Equipment/Sanitation 18 02-26-2008 04:13 PM
frig or upright freezer Bigfish713 Bottling/Kegging 2 10-21-2007 05:47 PM
chest freezer or upright? grrtt78 Bottling/Kegging 6 06-17-2007 11:05 PM


Forum Jump