Drop Them Panties Again - Sweet Sparkling Cider - Page 6 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Drop Them Panties Again - Sweet Sparkling Cider

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2011, 01:17 AM   #51
donny70
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Sydney, NSW
Posts: 17
Liked 18 Times on 5 Posts


Best label ever!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #52
tobinobin
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
glasgow, None (UK)
Posts: 29

Interesting recipe...I'm in the UK though and we don't seem to get cans of AJ concentrate. What exactly is it? Like diluting juice? We have apple juice from concentrate and diluting juice / squash here.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #53
HappyWino
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Rescue, CA
Posts: 88
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by tobinobin View Post
Interesting recipe...I'm in the UK though and we don't seem to get cans of AJ concentrate. What exactly is it? Like diluting juice? We have apple juice from concentrate and diluting juice / squash here.
I am pretty sure it doesn't exist in the UK. It isn't squash. It comes in a cardboard can about the size of a beer can, it's stored in the freezer and when defrosted it is a thick, syrupy, super sweet, super applely liquid. You typically add four times the volume of water to concentrate to turn it back into apple juice.

Cheers

HW

(Former Brit)

ShakerD Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:56 PM   #54
tobinobin
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
glasgow, None (UK)
Posts: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWino View Post
I am pretty sure it doesn't exist in the UK. It isn't squash. It comes in a cardboard can about the size of a beer can, it's stored in the freezer and when defrosted it is a thick, syrupy, super sweet, super applely liquid. You typically add four times the volume of water to concentrate to turn it back into apple juice.

Cheers

HW

(Former Brit)
Damn, any recommendations on what to use instead? This recipe seems interesting.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:52 PM   #55
HappyWino
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Rescue, CA
Posts: 88
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by tobinobin View Post
Damn, any recommendations on what to use instead? This recipe seems interesting.
The only think I can think of would be to make your own concentrate by freezing regular apple juice (make sure you do it in a plastic container, glass will end badly!) I have never done this personally but the theory is that the water should freeze before the apple goodness which you just pour off. You could either monitor it as it freezes and get it at the point that you can pour the apple off the ice, or freeze it completely and invert it over funnel like the "Apple Jackers" do.

Good luck!

Cheers

HW

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #56
tobinobin
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
glasgow, None (UK)
Posts: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWino View Post
The only think I can think of would be to make your own concentrate by freezing regular apple juice (make sure you do it in a plastic container, glass will end badly!) I have never done this personally but the theory is that the water should freeze before the apple goodness which you just pour off. You could either monitor it as it freezes and get it at the point that you can pour the apple off the ice, or freeze it completely and invert it over funnel like the "Apple Jackers" do.

Good luck!

Cheers

HW
Thanks for the tip - I might give this a go. Sounds tricky though. All in the name of alcohol though I suppose

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #57
naeco
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 165

Great recipe but should be called Lemon in cider as it's very lemony!!!!!!!

OG: 1.085
Bottled at 1.020 without priming sugar.
final ABV: +- 9.5% ... surprisingly, you don't taste it but you'll feel it LOL.
Pasteurized using the stove top method.
Yeast: S04

Used grolsh bottles and I will NEVER use anything else WOW. Called a local bar and asked them to keep the bottles for me so I only pay the depot 0.20$ per bottle !

Trying 2 1 gallon batch tonight wit more apple concentrate and less sugar. 1 without lemonade and one with 1/4 of the suggested lemonade from original recipe.
__________________
Making cider is easy. Making great cider is tricky.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:42 AM   #58
Chuckabrewski
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Oklahoma city, Ok
Posts: 289
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts


I have never made a cider before. Can you bottle this with regular beer bottles or does it have to be wine bottles?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:50 AM   #59
naeco
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckabrewski View Post
I have never made a cider before. Can you bottle this with regular beer bottles or does it have to be wine bottles?
Wine bottles if still(non-carbonated) and beer or champagne bottle if carbonated.
__________________
Making cider is easy. Making great cider is tricky.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #60
brewsmedic
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 24
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


So, with great anticipation (in spite of the fact my wife said she passed that phase long ago....) I have put this in primary. Just a few notes to those who wish to do this again...

I had to basically have an extra gallon or two of cider to bring it up to 5.5. gallons. Not sure if I got it that high yet but I had to use spring water to make up the difference. I still got a SG of 1.080 so I'm pretty happy with that but be advised, you will need some more cider if you wish to avoid water.

I am planning on kegging this so I assume once it stops fermenting, I'll move it to secondary for a bit to rest and blend then stick it in a keg and carb it up.

My other assumption is there will still be a bit of sweetness left over using the ale yeast so I'll just have to carb it up and be good to go.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sparkling Sweet Cider BrewFrick Cider Forum 18 09-17-2012 08:39 PM
Sparkling Cider Brewster2256 Cider Forum 5 07-14-2009 04:10 PM
Bottle conditioning a sweet sparkling wine? brewmonger Winemaking Forum 3 11-15-2008 12:00 AM
sweet sparkling cider RugenBrau Cider Forum 12 10-01-2008 08:21 PM
Sparkling Sweet Mead? mrtoofay Mead Forum 6 07-07-2008 07:23 PM


Forum Jump