Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > false bottom choices for direct fire

Old 03-04-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
nicknoty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default false bottom choices for direct fire

i plan on insulating my MLT but will proly still need to fire the burner periodically. i will be using 15 gal aluminum pot and 14-bg banjo. the system will be set to recirc during mash.

should i go for a full false bottom or could a 11" round do the trick if it is kept centered?

i want to avoid schorching

Old 03-04-2010, 11:24 PM   #2
OMJ
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would use a full false bottom. I use one from jaybirds and I have ever had any scorching at all

Old 03-04-2010, 11:30 PM   #3
HBHoss
Chappell Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Doesn't it defeat the purpose of having a false bottom if it doesn't "seal" at the edges? If the crap can just go to the edge of the smaller false bottom then it will never clear up.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:37 PM   #4
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBHoss View Post
Doesn't it defeat the purpose of having a false bottom if it doesn't "seal" at the edges? If the crap can just go to the edge of the smaller false bottom then it will never clear up.
Ya, if you are using a flat bottomed vessel, you have to have the false bottom go all the way to the edges.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 03-04-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
goose1873
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

there are domed false bottoms...

Old 03-04-2010, 11:45 PM   #6
nicknoty
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose1873 View Post
there are domed false bottoms...
thats what i was reffering too.

i would think after it recirced the mash would clear but i will be using a wide burner so my main consern is scorching

Old 03-04-2010, 11:54 PM   #7
nicknoty
Recipes 

problem solved - i will buy a cheap 15gal pot lid and cut to the size i need and drill the snot out of it. then use what ever size bolts and nuts SS to keep the bottom at the correct height and it will even have a handle for removal and clean up.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:18 AM   #8
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknoty View Post
problem solved - i will buy a cheap 15gal pot lid and cut to the size i need and drill the snot out of it. then use what ever size bolts and nuts SS to keep the bottom at the correct height and it will even have a handle for removal and clean up.
More like problem just begun IMO Good luck with it!

Old 03-05-2010, 12:35 AM   #9
Displaced MassHole
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknoty View Post
That actually sounds like a good idea, it may be really time consuming to make, but cheaper overall. Use a 3/32" bit for your holes and try to keep your drill pattern uniform as to not encourage channeling of wort to anyone spot on the FB.

Post some pics when your done, I'm sure there are many others that could benefit from it.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:43 AM   #10
nicknoty
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced MassHole View Post
That actually sounds like a good idea, it may be really time consuming to make, but cheaper overall. Use a 3/32" bit for your holes and try to keep your drill pattern uniform as to not encourage channeling of wort to anyone spot on the FB.

Post some pics when your done, I'm sure there are many others that could benefit from it.
thanks.

i will be using AL pots so the lid will be too. A plus cause AL is softer then SS. Depending on the tapper in the pot it may not need feet at all.

i will proly mark and center punch the holes before drilling.

i'm still thinking about wether to use a jigsaw or cut off wheel. the best way would be center hole and a ban saw table.

easily a few hours work but money is an issue so i will follow through with it.

sanke users could do the same but would have to hinge the lid for install and removal.