Can someone help in converting this to extract? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can someone help in converting this to extract?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
BleuChien
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Dallas
Posts: 67
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



Coconut Milk Stout
10lbs 2 Row Base
2lbs Crystal 50L
1lb Chocolate
0.5lb Black Patent
0.75lb Flaked Oats
0.75lbs Flaked Wheat

1lb Lactose (last 5 min of boil)

0.75oz Challenger Hops (90 min)
0.75oz Kent Goldings Hops (15 min)

2 lbs of unsweetened flaked coconut on flameout

Wyeast 1084 - Irish Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,733
Liked 8011 Times on 5599 Posts


That's alot of specialty grains. Do you have a way to steep that many specialty grains, or where you hoping to not use all of them?
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
Columbus WI
Posts: 2,995
Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts


How much grain can you mash - To make it easy you could use 6.6lbs of Light LME and not use the 2-row. The other grains can be steeped I believe.

Careful with the Lactose with Lactose intolerant people convulsing on your beer (never a good selling point).
__________________
Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

145 batches and counting

West Coast Blaster #4 almost go and on tap and a Dbl Chocolate Stout aging/carbing. Brewing East India Porter #4

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
BleuChien
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Dallas
Posts: 67
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
That's alot of specialty grains. Do you have a way to steep that many specialty grains, or where you hoping to not use all of them?
Yea, I can definitly steep. I was wanting to use as much as possible, but didnt want to have to sparge or get in to deep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
How much grain can you mash - To make it easy you could use 6.6lbs of Light LME and not use the 2-row. The other grains can be steeped I believe.

Careful with the Lactose with Lactose intolerant people convulsing on your beer (never a good selling point).
I can steep everything else together and then substitue the Light LME?

Good point. Im also cutting the lactose in half as Ive read where it can be too sweet.

Thanks for all the help, and please keep suggestions coming

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #5
maida7
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Asheville, NC
Posts: 2,827
Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts


Substitute LIGHT extract for the 2 row. Steep everything else.

If your using LME you will need 8lbs. If using DME use 6 lbs

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:03 PM   #6
maida7
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Asheville, NC
Posts: 2,827
Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts


yeah that's a whole lot of steeping grains. If your using bags you may need to split it into several bags.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
snipper_cr
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Somewhere in Illinois
Posts: 221
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I thought flaked items HAD to be mashed, otherwise the proper conversion would not occur - for instance flaked oats. I could be wrong but I thought the enzymes from mashing prompted the conversion used for flaked oats.

I did hear of someone "steeping" 2lbs of 2Row (or some other basemalt), basically making a mini mash. That created enough enzymes to work with the flaked oats. Does this make sense?
__________________
The "Hops Shortage" is the gods way of punishing us for not making our beers bitter enough.


Primary #1: British Brown
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Empty
Secondary #1: Empty
Keg #1: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2: Hoppy Red

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:32 PM   #8
Primetime
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Miiiiichigan
Posts: 71

did the recipe say if you are suppose to strain the coconut out, or dump it all into the fermenter?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:47 PM   #9
BleuChien
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Dallas
Posts: 67
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
yeah that's a whole lot of steeping grains. If your using bags you may need to split it into several bags.
Use a different bag for each? I have a large muslin from a previous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
did the recipe say if you are suppose to strain the coconut out, or dump it all into the fermenter?
It doesnt say, but I was skipping that and adding toasted coconut in the secondary.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:52 PM   #10
BleuChien
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Dallas
Posts: 67
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by snipper_cr View Post
I thought flaked items HAD to be mashed, otherwise the proper conversion would not occur - for instance flaked oats. I could be wrong but I thought the enzymes from mashing prompted the conversion used for flaked oats.

I did hear of someone "steeping" 2lbs of 2Row (or some other basemalt), basically making a mini mash. That created enough enzymes to work with the flaked oats. Does this make sense?
Im curious to this as "mashing" would be a new step. Anyone else have ideas to this?

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help converting AG to Extract ThreeTaps Recipes/Ingredients 6 09-02-2009 03:28 PM
Converting recipes- extract to PM/AG to PM flyangler18 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 06-18-2008 02:34 PM
Converting AG to extract. Choguy03 Extract Brewing 16 06-09-2008 09:34 AM
Converting AG to Extract Raffie General Techniques 8 07-11-2007 02:56 PM
Converting extract to AG? gnets99 Recipes/Ingredients 8 07-07-2007 12:37 PM


Forum Jump