Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Why Not to Pitch On Your Yeast Cake

Old 10-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #451
Silentnoiz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdf View Post
So what's the non-yeast washing method of repitching yeast, for someone who doesn't want to read all 5,000 pages of this thread?
It is in the first post of this thread.

People Like This 
Old 10-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #452
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 487 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 609

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdf View Post
So what's the non-yeast washing method of repitching yeast, for someone who doesn't want to read all 5,000 pages of this thread?
I pour the post fermentation slurry into 2 sanitized containers. Leave some beer on top of it. That's it.

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014
masonsjax Likes This 
Old 10-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #453
cheezydemon3
Recipes 

Liked 1655 Times on 1244 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

I leave the yeast cake in the fermenter, scoop out (or rinse out) 3/4 of it.

Pitch cooled wort on that.
masonsjax Likes This 
Old 10-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #454
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentnoiz View Post
It is in the first post of this thread.
I didn't want to be the one to point that out. Thank you.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #455
M8tor
Recipes 

I usually use 2 fresh packages of dry yeast without starter for a 5 gallon batch. I've occasionally pitched onto a yeast cake. After reading through this thread, I decided to use about a cup of the previous yeast cake to brew a second similar batch of beer this past weekend. The explanation of yeast regeneration just made sense to me. The results...I can't remember the last time I had such a fast start and such an active primary fermentation.

I really learn a lot from all you fellow brewers. And I like threads like this that make me rethink how I'm brewing.

Cheers!

Old 10-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #456
progmac
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I pour the post fermentation slurry into 2 sanitized containers. Leave some beer on top of it. That's it.
do you filter hops/break material from the kettle? about how much do you pitch in a batch of say 1.060 beer? assuming it is fairly fresh.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #457
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 487 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 609

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
do you filter hops/break material from the kettle? about how much do you pitch in a batch of say 1.060 beer? assuming it is fairly fresh.
I use bags for whole hops, but pellets go through the pump and into the fermenter. No big deal. Assuming the slurry is less than a month old, I pitch about 1/2 of what I harvest.

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 10-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #458
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
I recirculate the bitter wort until it runs bright. I use whole hops almost religiously, as well as a kettle coagulant. Recirculation sets up a nice filter bed of hops petals and break material.

To determine how much, see the first post of this thread. The info is all there.

Bob

Old 10-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #459
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 216 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Bob (or anyone else), I just harvested the yeast from an IPA I made using Bell's yeast. The slurry is very thick. Almost like a milkshake consistency. It poured, but it poured very slowly. It also looked very clean. I avoided getting much trub into the fermentation bucket and I dry hopped in a muslin bag.

I know you said, "You can expect around 1 billion active cells in a ml of harvested slurry." But Mrmalty's calculator describes 1 billion cells/ml as a "thin slurry" that pours smoothly. I would not describe mine as thin.

Would you say that I should base my calculations on your high amount of 2 billion cells/ml? Mrmaltys calculator goes all the way up to 4.5 billion cells/ml for a "thick slurry".

I plan to pitch this to a 2.75 gallon 1.058 SG American brown so I don't want to overpitch a ridiculous amount.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #460
cheezydemon3
Recipes 

Liked 1655 Times on 1244 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel View Post
Bob (or anyone else), I just harvested the yeast from an IPA I made using Bell's yeast. The slurry is very thick. Almost like a milkshake consistency. It poured, but it poured very slowly. It also looked very clean. I avoided getting much trub into the fermentation bucket and I dry hopped in a muslin bag.

I know you said, "You can expect around 1 billion active cells in a ml of harvested slurry." But Mrmalty's calculator describes 1 billion cells/ml as a "thin slurry" that pours smoothly. I would not describe mine as thin.

Would you say that I should base my calculations on your high amount of 2 billion cells/ml? Mrmaltys calculator goes all the way up to 4.5 billion cells/ml for a "thick slurry".

I plan to pitch this to a 2.75 gallon 1.058 SG American brown so I don't want to overpitch a ridiculous amount.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
1/4 cup.

That is my unprofessional opinion, and the extent of thought I give to such matters.

Tags
pitch, pitching, procedure, quality, rate, yeast cake