Question for Forrest, Austin Homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danculwell

Reaction score
Mods: The reason I'm asking on the forums is because I'm sure there are other people who would be curious as well. I wasn't sure which forum this would fit best in so feel free to move it if it should go elsewhere.

Forrest, I was wondering where you get your clone recipes? Did you and your staff develop them all? That's pretty amazing if you did considering how many there are. I'm curious if the original brewers have any part in it. Do they have to give their permission and/or sign off on the recipes before you can sell them with their name? Some sites use slightly different names than the original I assume for legal reasons (caribou slobber instead of moose drool, fat Belgian instead of fat tire) but your's are all listed under the beer name and the brewery.

Just curious how that works. Thanks

This has nothing to do with AHS, however in the book "Beer Captured" the authors note that they contacted breweries in their quest to capture the beer.

So, I'll assume that for some they were able to collaborate.

Either way, I'm curious to get an official answer.

I was listening to BN podcast from the beginnings, and I was under the impression that some breweries will create an "official clone" and allow stores to sell it as such. Morebeer was the examples from te podcast.

Perhaps Forrest has a deal setup for that?

For most of the clones I can figure out the ingredients by tasting the beer. On top of that, most breweries list the ingredients but not the amounts. Easy to do from there. I don't always get them spot on. If they are not spot on, they are really close and they are a good representation of the style.

I take requests, but if the beer is not available here, you may need to send me a few bottles to taste.

I think stores are afraid to list the actual name of the beer because they want to say that this is close but not exact. I think that is understood. If you are searching for Moose Drool you wont know to look for Carabu Slobber instead.

In the last 10 years we only had one problem. Pete had a problem with us calling a kit Pete's Wicked Ale and all of the other Pete's clones we had. We received a cease and disist letter from their lawyer. They thought people would be confused because they are getting ingredients instead of beer shipped to them. We just changed the name and everything is fine.

Forrest

Everything I have done correctly (temp, no alc boost, proper conditioning time) has been terrific. The Hoegaarden clone was great. That one is going to be done again soon. I am now about to force carb an Efes Lager they have which is my favorite beer out of Turkey, but next up is their popular AHB Bavarian Hefe.

God if they had a clone of Caffrey's (can't get it in the states ) or Saku from Estonia. Now that would be a party, or Pilsen from Costa Rica, or Banks from Barbados.....or......

(Note: I realize that a number of those are tasteless lagers, but I have fond memories of them)

I think you should send Forrest at least a sixer. A couple bottles for evaluation, a couple for comparison post-brewing, and a couple just in case.

I have done several of Forrest's AHS all-grain clones, and have been nothing but happy. They are always VERY close, and you get consistent results.

Latest posts

Back