Best kettle - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Best kettle

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
Layne
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Gonzales, Louisiana
Posts: 964
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts



Whats the best option for 5 AND 10 gal batches
It's time to build my brew sculpture.
I do mostly 5 gal batches with a 7.5 gal pot and 2 10 gal coolers.
I also do some 10 gal batches with a converted keggle and the 10 gal coolers(tight).
Any advise appreciated.
ps I talked to several homebrew mailorder places, and was basically told to 'decide what size batches I wanted to brew' and go with that size. Really? There has to be a happy medium. It seemed themometer and drain locations were the biggest obstical. I really like the blichmanns with all the bells and whistles. Maybe the answer is to buy kettles and locate my own drains and thermometers. Could it be that simple.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
shortyjacobs
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,509
Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts


I use a keggle for 5 and 10 gallon batches. Works great for both. I use a 15 gal cooler, which also works great for both, (Ice Cube cooler...tall and skinny ..so the grainbed isn't too thin even with a weak 5 gal batch...)
__________________
Itchy Dog Brewery.

(As of 10-24-2011)
Primary - Steppe 112 PA, 2x Monday RyePA
Aging - None :-(
On tap - Big Dog, Apfelwein, Steppe 112 PA

My invisible AG sculpture, with no actual sculpture and a tiny footprint.
My Kegerator goes offroading!
My Coors Home Draft dispenser for boating/beering on the go.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
willynilly
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Avon
Posts: 728
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne View Post
Whats the best option for 5 AND 10 gal batches
It's time to build my brew sculpture.
I do mostly 5 gal batches with a 7.5 gal pot and 2 10 gal coolers.
I also do some 10 gal batches with a converted keggle and the 10 gal coolers(tight).
Any advise appreciated.
ps I talked to several homebrew mailorder places, and was basically told to 'decide what size batches I wanted to brew' and go with that size. Really? There has to be a happy medium. It seemed themometer and drain locations were the biggest obstical. I really like the blichmanns with all the bells and whistles. Maybe the answer is to buy kettles and locate my own drains and thermometers. Could it be that simple.
Blichmans are nice, but the thermometer locations are not ideal. This is a limit of the jig that they use to punch those holes.

You are good to go with a 15 gallon Blichman for boiling 5-10 gallon batches, BUT the thermometer is located at the 6.5 gallon position.

They are pretty kettles, they are well thought out (snap in dip tubes, easy to clean GLASS sight gauges etc...) You can get a nice kettle, and locate your own valves, thermometers etc though for much less... they just wont be as cohesive as the Blichman design, which was designed as a unit.

Sankeys are REALLY heavy, so keep that in mind... Polarware pots are really popular it seems.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
Cliff897
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
NJ
Posts: 468
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne View Post
Whats the best option for 5 AND 10 gal batches
It's time to build my brew sculpture.
Best? That's going to be pretty subjective.

For my money it's the one that will let you walk away from a full on boil and not boil over.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
willynilly
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Avon
Posts: 728
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


Fermcap

Nuff said

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #6
klyph
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
North Pole, Alaska
Posts: 1,809
Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts


It always seemed to me that the Blichmans were kind of thin/flimsy compared to the Polarwares. I guess they don't need to be that thick, but I prefer overbuilt, over-engineered systems.

That being said, If money were no object, I would buy Polarware's and have the fittings welded in to suit my needs.

Since money is an object, I am building mine with converted kegs and weldless fittings.
__________________
10 gallon electric system
Stovetop 110v single vessel 5 gallon system

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:07 PM   #7
Layne
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Gonzales, Louisiana
Posts: 964
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts


I guess I'll have to call, but do you know if you can get the blichmann without the thermometer, and add it at the level I want?
I really like the 'bling' factor, and really want to have a knockout rig for my new cookshack.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:15 PM   #8
klyph
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
North Pole, Alaska
Posts: 1,809
Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne View Post
I guess I'll have to call, but do you know if you can get the blichmann without the thermometer, and add it at the level I want?
I don't see why not, though if they come with a warranty,that would probably void it.
__________________
10 gallon electric system
Stovetop 110v single vessel 5 gallon system

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #9
DKershner
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Bend, OR
Posts: 1,870
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne View Post
I guess I'll have to call, but do you know if you can get the blichmann without the thermometer, and add it at the level I want?
I really like the 'bling' factor, and really want to have a knockout rig for my new cookshack.
You cannot. You can plug the hole though.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:10 AM   #10
Cliff897
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
NJ
Posts: 468
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by klyph View Post
It always seemed to me that the Blichmans were kind of thin/flimsy compared to the Polarwares.
Really? Wow. I have never touched their kettle. Like the look tho'. I recently had a dialog with a Chinese conical manufacturer. I asked him for something I could look at, engineering drawings, pictures - anything - to get a dialog going on his products. He sent me a stock photo of the Blickmann Ferminator line complete with labels.
Gave me pause. Were they from that Chinese factory? Or did he just rip them of the internet? I didn't e-mail him again. The picture was grainy.
If they didn't care enough to have decent images ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It was these guys:
http://www.cqindusg.com.cn/
http://www.cqindustry.com/
Their website does not have the Ferminator line on it.
It has these: http://www.cqindustry.com/product/product10_en.html


Quote:
I guess they don't need to be that thick, but I prefer overbuilt, over-engineered systems.
Me too.
Have you had the chance to feel the Bayou Classic Line?


Quote:
That being said, If money were no object, I would buy Polarware's and have the fittings welded in to suit my needs.
Will Polarware do it?


 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How big should my kettle be? mximus11 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 12 02-12-2010 09:26 PM
Which kettle is the best kettle? boodyrischous Equipment/Sanitation 2 07-14-2008 09:39 PM
possible kettle? bjdetwiler Kettles, Mash Tuns & Hot Liquor Tanks 4 03-01-2008 03:58 PM
Turkey Fryer Kettle for Boil Kettle? SenorWanderer General Techniques 3 09-06-2007 07:52 PM
Lid on Kettle? burnsie Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 02-27-2006 08:34 PM


Forum Jump