HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Winners Drawn - 24 Hours to Claim!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Ends Today!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Tips on sanitizing one or two pieces of equipment

Old 03-01-2010, 11:46 PM   #1
DavidHawman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Tips on sanitizing one or two pieces of equipment

So I need to check the FG on my beer that has hopefully finished fermenting but I need a way to sanitize just the utensil I will use to grab a sample, not a whole slew of equipment.

My normal method is to make up about a 4 gallon solution of Iodophor solution on brew or bottling day to sanitize equipment, bottles and anything that may touch the brew. Pretty simple, just stick item in, wait a minute and shake dry. That way if anything touched an unclean surface I can just chuck it back in.

However, I dont want to waste sanitizer to make a 4 gallon batch just to sanitize my beer thief. I dont have a method of storing the solution for the next brew day.

So could I make say a 1 cup solution of iodophor and wrap paper towels around my beer thief, soak them with the liquid, wait a minute then remove and take a sample? Another option is to bake my pyrex measuring cup in the oven then dip in to remove a sample(I am using a bucket so this is possible). If I were to bake my measuring cup how long and at what temp is most efficient?

Any other methods I may be missing?

Old 03-01-2010, 11:53 PM   #2
billvon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHawman View Post
However, I dont want to waste sanitizer to make a 4 gallon batch just to sanitize my beer thief. I dont have a method of storing the solution for the next brew day.
I built a "wine thief sanitizer" that's just a piece of PVC pipe with a stopper in it. Fill it up with water, add a drop or two of iodophor, stick the thief in for a few minutes and you're good.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:54 PM   #3
DavidHawman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvon View Post
I built a "wine thief sanitizer" that's just a piece of PVC pipe with a stopper in it. Fill it up with water, add a drop or two of iodophor, stick the thief in for a few minutes and you're good.
Ingenious, I will have to pick up the parts for that next time I am at Home Depot.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:56 PM   #4
phishfood
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Or you could boil an implement on as little water as neccesary to cover the item in a pan. Obviously not so good for plastic.

Edit to add: I have switched from iodophor to Star San, and I keep it in a bucket with a lid. I also keep some in a spray bottle that gets used liberally.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:01 AM   #5
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 651 Times on 412 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I keep a garden sprayer full of Star San almost all the time. I use it often enough that it gets replenished every couple of weeks. It's awesome for situations like yours. A small spray bottle would be just as useful if you want a smaller scaled solution.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:58 AM   #6
fatbob
Recipes 

I usually mix 2 1/2 gallons of starsan at a time. I buy distilled water in one gallon jugs and mix it into a fermenting bucket. By using the distilled water it will last for a long time. I have some PH strips that I can check to make sure that it is still good. After mixing , I pour it back into the jugs and label them so I don't get it mixed up with any other jugs I have. I pour some of the mixture into a spray bottle so I can use it to sanitize one or two things quickly.

Secondary; I usually leave in primary 3 wks then condition 3wks in keg

Bottled;

Hophead double IPA
Nut Brown Ale

Kegged; Biermunchers Cenntenial Blonde
Bass Ale

Old 03-02-2010, 01:53 AM   #7
businesstime
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbob View Post
I usually mix 2 1/2 gallons of starsan at a time. I buy distilled water in one gallon jugs and mix it into a fermenting bucket. By using the distilled water it will last for a long time. I have some PH strips that I can check to make sure that it is still good. After mixing , I pour it back into the jugs and label them so I don't get it mixed up with any other jugs I have. I pour some of the mixture into a spray bottle so I can use it to sanitize one or two things quickly.

I was thinking of doing that, too. Just get another spray bottle that always contains sani-water.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:59 AM   #8
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I always keep some starsan around. Also, for those long items for racking canes and wine thiefs and brew paddles, I spent $1.50 and use a wall paper water tray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:05 AM   #9
tom777
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I use a spray bottle for the small things. The wall paper tray thing sounds like a good idea also, will have to keep that in mind.
edit: I've used the spray bottle to sanitize my primary buckets when brewing also.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:06 PM   #10
Conodor
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbob View Post

What ph is good/bad for san star?

I also have a garden sprayer but upgraded from a cheap hme depot spray bottle. Both worked great for thesse small jobs.

C.R.A.F.T. Member

(Most replys from my cell sorry for mispellin)