Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > More banana, less bubblegum

Old 03-01-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
Skacorica
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default More banana, less bubblegum

So, my next beer Id really like to do is a tripel. My belgian strong ale that is about 2 pints from being gone turned out very well, though I have one major complaint about it: The bubblegum aroma. Its not overwhelming by any means and it doesnt get into the taste really at all and I seem to be the only one bothered by it, but nonetheless, I am. When I drink some of my favorite belgian doub/trips such as NBs abbey and trippel, I get more banana than bubblegum. I realize they are very similar and Abbey has a bit of the bubblegum but trippel its definitely just banana as far as the big (yeast contributed) tastes/smells I get.

As a reference, I fermented that strong ale at about 68-70 degrees (room temp, not fermentation temp). I am thinking I would ferment at 65 in the basement for the tripel. Is that going to get me where I want to be as far as aroma? I know theres a fine line with the banana/bubblegum thing, I just really !@#$ing hate when its crossed

Primary 3: Land Beaver Cider
Secondary 1: Trippel Clone
Secondary 2: Empty
Kegged: Larlo Imperial Chocolate Stout, Pliny the (Stronger) Bastid
Bottled: Amber Ale, Belgian Strong Ale
Note: Colors actually taken from my beers as photographed in carboys

Yeast are like day laborers; they do great work, but you don't want them hanging around when its time for dinner.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think you fermented a little too high, and that may be why you're getting the bubblegum aroma more than banana.

Try using Wyeast Belgian Ardennes yeast at 64F.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 03-01-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Yeah, bubblegum taste/aroma is put off by stressed yeast. What yeast did you use? Most Belgian strains can handle those temps, but depending on pitching rate and oxygen might be stressed. I would start it low (pitch at 65) and after a day or two move it up to room temp and let it rise freely into the 70s to get full attenuation and those fruit flavors that are desired. But, make sure are pitching the proper amount of yeast and oxygenating well.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
joety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 19

If by NB you mean New Belgium, I noticed their banana esters are out of control on their tripel. It varied from bottle to bottle with some being quite good (for the money) and others being a bunch of bananas. That's not something I'd stride for. Belgian yeasts, under the right conditions, produce better balanced, tastier esters, than just bananas.

Secondaries - None
Lagering in Kegs - Bavarian Dunkel

Kegged: Belgian Dirty Blonde Trappist Ale, Forbidden Fruit IPA, Double Chocolate Stout, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Looking for ideas

Old 03-01-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
Skacorica
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joety View Post
If by NB you mean New Belgium, I noticed their banana esters are out of control on their tripel. It varied from bottle to bottle with some being quite good (for the money) and others being a bunch of bananas. That's not something I'd stride for. Belgian yeasts, under the right conditions, produce better balanced, tastier esters, than just bananas.
Indeed, I did mean New Belgium. I rather like the banana flavor that their Trippel has... though I havent had any that I thought were overly banana-ish.

What yeast do you prefer?

Yeast are like day laborers; they do great work, but you don't want them hanging around when its time for dinner.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
Skacorica
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific View Post
Yeah, bubblegum taste/aroma is put off by stressed yeast. What yeast did you use? Most Belgian strains can handle those temps, but depending on pitching rate and oxygen might be stressed. I would start it low (pitch at 65) and after a day or two move it up to room temp and let it rise freely into the 70s to get full attenuation and those fruit flavors that are desired. But, make sure are pitching the proper amount of yeast and oxygenating well.
Hmm you may have struck something there; I actually did not make a starter for that strong ale. Maybe the lack of starter + slightly higher temp came together to cause it. I used the belgian golden ale yeast. This time I was thinking wyeast 1214, or maybe the Abbey II

Old 03-01-2010, 08:44 PM   #7
JaimeTheLimey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
Try using Wyeast Belgian Ardennes yeast at 64F.
Suthern, have you used this one before? I was told (by the guys at Wyeast) that this one puts off less fruit much more spice/clove than the other strains. Curious as this is going into a new batch pretty soon.

OP - Trappist High Gravity (3787) will put out a good amount of fruit w/o the bubblegum flavor at around 70*. I wouldn't go any higher than that. In fact, go with what Beeriffic said. That should get you some pretty good results.
Coconut Imperial Stout; Centennial IPA; Institution Mosaic PA
Bubbling:
Maple Bacon Brown Ale; Belma SH Saison; De Bomb Sour Brown;
Cellar:
****s & Giggles Cherry Sour; Winter Brett Saison

Old 03-01-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalime View Post
Suthern, have you used this one before? I was told (by the guys at Wyeast) that this one puts off less fruit much more spice/clove than the other strains. Curious as this is going into a new batch pretty soon.
Ardennes is actually my go-to strain for Belgians. I'm not a huge fan of the banana bomb beers, so I prefer a little less fruit. This is a very smooth, clean, belgian strain. It puts off enough esters to be noticeable, but not enough to make me feel like a chimp.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 03-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #9
joety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skacorica View Post
Indeed, I did mean New Belgium. I rather like the banana flavor that their Trippel has... though I havent had any that I thought were overly banana-ish.

What yeast do you prefer?
So far I prefer 1338, the Duvel's yeast, but I'm trying the Chimay yeast on my current "house belgian" recipe for comparison. I've not used it previously.

I will likely rack it to the keg this weekend and have a taste. It's been in the secondary for two months.

I've also got the Super High Gravity Yeast (3787) going on the Gulden Draak clone listed below. It's been churning for two weeks as I've gradually upped the temperature, currently around 74 degrees but I cranked it up a notch when I left this morning. I've not used that one before either.

Secondaries - None
Lagering in Kegs - Bavarian Dunkel

Kegged: Belgian Dirty Blonde Trappist Ale, Forbidden Fruit IPA, Double Chocolate Stout, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Looking for ideas

Old 03-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #10
DirkDiggler
Recipes 

If you like lots of banana what about using a hefe yeast like WLP300?