Just trying my first lager. Kind of a European Amber/Oktoberfest (extract) type. I used the Fermentis Saflager S-23, and from many posts that indicated it tends to ferment cleaner at higher temps, and because my basement was in the right range, I primaried between 53 and 57 degrees F. Took off like a shot and now, 7 days later, it seems to be DONE. 1.05 --> 1.010. I tasted the gravity sample, and it is mighty good if a tad thin. No discernible butter/butterscotch or fruity taste, but I am thinking of following 'the book' and taking the temp up for 24-48 hr for diacetyl rest and then lagering in the garage at 40-45 for 2-3 weeks.
Since the primary went by so fast, do you think I should treat this more like an ale than a lager and decrease the low temp conditioning or go by the 'lager' book?
3.2 lb Light DME
0.2 lb Amber DME (had it around...left over)
0.6 lb 60L Crystal Malt (steeped from start to 170, sparged with ~ 1pt 160 deg. water and removed)
0.4 lb Clover Honey
1 oz Hallertau (4.3% AA) for 45 min
0.5 oz Hallertau (4.3% AA) for 15 min
0.5 oz Tettnanger (3.2% AA) for 2 min
0.5 oz Hallertau + 0.5 oz Tettnanger at flameout.
11.5g Fermentis Saflager S-23 rehydrated in ~100 mL water at 80 deg F. Cooled to 60 degrees and pitched with wort at 60 degrees.
Using Tinseth equations, 38 IBU for 3 gal, so somewhat less in final volume.
I used a partial boil (2 gallons for a 3 gal batch) and did a late extract addition, starting with 1 lb DME for the first 30 min and the remainder + honey for the last 15 min.
I was aiming for 3 gal @ 1.057, but diluted too much and ended up with 3.5 gal @1.050.