The chamber turned out real sturdy once the last of the plywood was installed. I originally was going to re-use the fridge door, but because of space limitations, I decided to just cut a new one.
I ended up wrapping the whole chamber in reflective insulation. The chamber will be stored in the house, and the room it is in gets a lot of sunlight. I am hoping this cuts down on radiant heat. It will eventually live underneath a new bar top.
I installed a single stage love temperature controller. Since it lives in the house I will not need to heat the chamber.
After I wired the chamber, ran the temp probe, reinstalled the original thermostat, and reaffixed the freezer, I cut a thick piece of plexiglass and placed it on the chamber floor.
Overall, this was a relatively cheap project. I already had the fridge so all I needed to buy was:
1- 4x8 sheet of plywood
1- 4x8 sheet of 1.5 inch insulation,
1- roll of reflective insulation (I only used half)
1- love temperature controller
The chamber ended up being 25" deep x 33.5" wide x 34" tall. I tried to keep the depth down because of space limitations but you could build it deeper if you wanted to. The chamber should fit 3 carboys, 4 or 5 cornys maybe more, or a combination of the two. I test ran it today and got the temp down to the high 30's, but did not feel like pushing it. I built it for ale fermentation so it won't have to work too hard. I'm sure I will be playing around with the temp probe placement and may look into installing a fan, but so far I am happy with how it holds temps.