Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 5 gallon secondary for 2.5 gallon batch of hefe?

Old 02-28-2010, 04:40 AM   #1
as1084
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 5 gallon secondary for 2.5 gallon batch of hefe?

hi. i am a noob, with this being only my 3rd time brewing. I am brewing a hefe for 2.5 gallons for the first time. all my other times I have brewed 5 gallons. I know using a 5 gallon primary bucket for a 2.5 gallon batch is ok because of the co2 pushing out the oxygen. but what about a 5 gallon secondary?? the only reason i am fermenting using a secondary is to add fruit to my hefe. if i wasnt adding fruit then i would leave it in primary for double the time. if it is bad to use such a big secondary, is there anyway i can add fruit without secondary fermentation, and get the same effect as if i did add it in secondary. such as adding the fruit juice to primary once the fermenting slows down?? right now i dont have the extra cash to buy a 3 gal carboy, but will be getting one very soon. thanks a lot!

Old 02-28-2010, 04:44 AM   #2
dunnright00
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I know I'll get flak for this, but if it was me, I'd get 3 gallons of water and split it into the three jugs.

However, I already have 3 airlocks and stoppers, so if you don't that may be a problem....

“There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says, ‘Good People Drink Good Beer.’ Which is true, then as it is now. Just look around you in a public barroom and you will quickly see: Bad People Drink Bad Beer. Think about it.”
-- Hunter S. Thompson,

Old 02-28-2010, 05:10 AM   #3
DavidSteel
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I can't say how to get around not using a secondary because I'm not sure how the results would turn out, but when you add the fruit, that'll give a little bit of sugar for the yeast to eat and produce a little more co2, so you might be okay.
Bottled: Ó Flannagáin Standard, Random Stout, Nut Brown, Edwort's Rye IPA, Milk Stout + Coffee Milk Stout, Centennial Blonde, Pale Ale, Cthulhu Dementia Robust Porter, Nyarlathotep (I)IIPA, Willamette IPA parti-gyle, Indian Brown Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Oatmeal Stout, Barely Legal IIPA, Oatmeal Stout 2, Hazelnut Coffee Oatmeal Stout
Planned: RIS, Coconut Porter