Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Dry Mead Yeast

Old 11-17-2006, 03:03 AM   #1
Cheesefood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 25 Posts

Default Dry Mead Yeast

Boy, they aren't lying. Dry like my 97 year old grannie's cooter. It takes a few sips to get used to the dryness.

I don't suppose there's anything I can do now to balance it out, is there? I like the flavor of the mead, but not the aftertaste (drrrrrrry). Does it jjust need to age more? I pitched the yeast on 4/28.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 11-17-2006, 12:46 PM   #2
missing
Recipes 

As long as you don't want bubbles you can campden/sorbate it and then give it a honey/water mixture to backsweeten. You might be suprised how well this works. Like anything else, I would take a sample and add a little bit of honey (dissolved) to your glass until you get to the sweetness level you like. Another option (somewhat off the wall) is to add a can of your favorite juice concentrate to the 5 gallon batch. I did this with a severly dry Clover Mead (1 can strawberry-kiwi) and it now looks like a blush wine (but tastes even better!). Other non fermentable sweetening options include lactose (not for me in a mead) or splenda or stevia (give the stevia a try, a little goes a long way). Of course, the last option is wine conditioner or glycerine. Just some thougths.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:34 PM   #3
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by missing
As long as you don't want bubbles you can campden/sorbate it and then give it a honey/water mixture to backsweeten. You might be suprised how well this works. Like anything else, I would take a sample and add a little bit of honey (dissolved) to your glass until you get to the sweetness level you like. Another option (somewhat off the wall) is to add a can of your favorite juice concentrate to the 5 gallon batch. I did this with a severly dry Clover Mead (1 can strawberry-kiwi) and it now looks like a blush wine (but tastes even better!). Other non fermentable sweetening options include lactose (not for me in a mead) or splenda or stevia (give the stevia a try, a little goes a long way). Of course, the last option is wine conditioner or glycerine. Just some thougths.
After a few sips, I got used to it and enjoyed it. A little too much.

We need a hangover smilie.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.