Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Brettanomyces bruxellensis Question

Old 02-27-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
dslater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Brettanomyces bruxellensis Question

Hi -
I am fermenting the Belgian Specialty Ale in "Brewing Classic Styles"
I racked to secondary about 3 days ago and pitched the Brettanomyces bruxellensis but I am seeing absolutely no action in the airlock.

I know that fermentation can happen without visible airlock action, but am
wondering what I should expect to see in this case.

Can anyone give me a clue?

Thanks,

Dave

Old 02-28-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
Sixbillionethans
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Try to move your thread over to the Lambic & Wild brewing section and you might get more responses. I know I only look there for Brett questions.

My experience with Brett in secondary is that you'll often get basically no indication that it's doing anything. Wait 1-3 months and give it a sniff/taste test.

My Orval-ish beer sat totally still for 3 months (no signs of activity), yet it got a very noticeable Brett character. Then it got super carbonated in the bottle while sitting mostly at 35-50 degrees. Brett tends to be less predictable than saccaromyces.

You might get a pellicle forming (although that's just an indicator of O2 in your headspace), and I usually see some very slow airlock activity...maybe 1 bubble per 15 minutes.

What was your gravity when you transferred?