Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Immersion Chiller built using 5 gallon carboy as my form...
Old 02-27-2010, 02:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Liked 101 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default Immersion Chiller built using 5 gallon carboy as my form...

So I awoke this morning thinking that I would do my first AG batch. I started to grab "everything" I would need...

I started to fill my brew kettle with water, when it hit me... How the hell am I going to cool the wort after the boil???

See, up until now I have been doing extract w/steeped grain recipes... I had a 20 qt (5g) brewpot and a 60 qt (15g) brewpot, but never did a full boil. Needless to say, because of that fact, the 60 qt (15g) brewpot never was a thought in how I was gonna cool that beast. I usually just cooled the 20 qt (5g) in my sink, with an ice bath.

So needless to say, I didn't brew this morning.

Well, to make a long story even longer, I went to the LHBS to see what cooling methods they had for sale. Boy was I in for a shock.

$120 for an Immersion Chiller or $220 for a Chill Plate...

The Immersion Chiller was a dinky little thing, made of 3/8" copper (I think 20' worth), and the Chill Plate was a nice one, but WAY out of my budget.

I decided to go to HD (I love that place, and they love me). I found a roll of 3/8" x 50' copper tubing for the low low price of $35.99, so I picked it up. I also grabbed some reinforced vinyl tubing (20'), a 3/4" garden hose to 1/2" FIP adapter, and a 1/2" MIP to 3/8" barb.

Total cost = $60

I made my way home, and was thinking about the design of the chiller that I saw at the LHBS. I kinda looked like it would have fit perfectly around a corny keg.

My 60 qt (15g) brew kettle is much wider and shorter than a corny, so I decided to use a 5 g glass carboy as my form. I thought this might hurt the possibility of using the immersion chiller for a keggle (in the near future), but to my relief kegs are 16.5" wide, and usually the hole for a brewpot is about 12"-13", so my chiller would fit inside.

Any, now that the long story is over, I have an immersion chiller now! Hopefully I can do my first AG batch on Sunday!

I will most likely do a "First AG Batch Right Now" kind of post. Try to do it live and in living color!

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker and glory to his bounty by learning about... BEER."

Fryer Tuck - Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves

Kegged: Dry Cider, Heady Topper-ish, Forbidden Witbier

Fermenter: Nada, Zilch, Zero!

On Deck: Barleywine, APA, Toasted Almond CoCo Porter

In the near future: Nugget Nectar Clone, Lemon Pepper Saison, Strawberry Blonde
Old 02-27-2010, 02:43 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Congrats man! Well done!

Primary 1 - Engish Mild Ale
Primary 2 - Three Dog Pilsner
Secondary - Empty