How is all grain cheaper when... - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How is all grain cheaper when...

Old 02-27-2010, 04:20 AM   #11
samc
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Portland OR
Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts

Grain prices have been dropping. Marris Otter for about $50 for a bag. Great Western Pale Ale, which I use as a base grain has dropped to $30+ for 50lbs. Or you can buy by the pound for $.82/lb.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:50 AM   #12
permo
Recipes 

Sep 2009
North Dakota
Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snevey View Post
It's going to cost me about $25 for grain (12.5 pounds at $2.00/lb) and I can get 7 lbs of Muntons bulk LME for $24? Am I missing something here? Is $2.00/lb a bad price? I'm sorry to ask all these questions lately, but I REALLY want to go all-grain soon, as it's hard to call opening a can of LME and saying that's my beer. It's like opening a can of Campbells soup, making it, and calling it my soup because I made it...
That is a terrible price.....check this out

All grain is much cheaper. You shoudl be able to get 10 pounds of base grains that will give you a 1.050 OG 5 gallon batch for about $12. That is about half the price of an extract brew.

Here is what you do:

Hops = www.hopsdirect.com
grains = www.brewmasterswarehouse.com Ed even gives us a discount...his grind is dead on and they do a great job.

yeast = who cares? Culture it from rogue, chimay..etc..etc...notty is $1.40.
water = mighty affordable

following my own advice I can brew 5 gallons of 1.050 30 IBU cascade pale ale for less than $15. Not to shabby.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:01 AM   #13
BrownDogBrews
Recipes 

Feb 2010
columbia

my LHBS charges 4/lbs. i dont even step in the place. $5 for a ounce of hops. who seriously buys from there. order all my stuff online

Old 02-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #14
Rubberband
Recipes 

Dec 2008
2 Paws, MI
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
It's going to cost me about $25 for grain (12.5 pounds at $2.00/lb) and I can get 7 lbs of Muntons bulk LME for $24? Am I missing something here? Is $2.00/lb a bad price? I'm sorry to ask all these questions lately, but I REALLY want to go all-grain soon, as it's hard to call opening a can of LME and saying that's my beer. It's like opening a can of Campbells soup, making it, and calling it my soup because I made it...
It looks like you have some really bad grain prices. In any case, if you want to go all grain for a cost savings, I recommend sticking with extract brewing. I love the mad scientist part of AG brewing but I have not saved a $1 over good craft brewed beer. I've got over $1000 in equipment, I'm making a RIMS tube with plans for a single tier stand that will cost over $2000.

In short, I recommend you go to AG because your want to take over all of your brewing, not just to save money.

"A man who carries a cat by the tail, learns something he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Old 02-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #15
StAnthonyB
Recipes 

Nov 2009
New York
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
You're getting ripped off plain and simple.

Get an account with http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/ and http://www.hopsdirect.com/

Old 02-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #16
Richard-SSV
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Lake Dallas
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Although my LHBS sells grain from $1.33 per pound, I'd still like to start buying bulk. I looked into it and it's the shipping prices that are making it cost prohibitive. Northern Brewer sells a 50 lb bag of 2 row for $35, but shipping is also $35. Are there any of you in the Dallas area buying bulk grain and getting it shipped for a decent price? If so I'd love to know where you're buying it from so I can get in on it.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #17
oceanselv
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Holly Springs, NC
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyacovett View Post
I buy 55 lbs of Maris Otter for $40. That enough base grain for at least 5 average brews. Comes out to about 72 cents a lb. I can get American 2- row even cheaper. For specialty grains I keep 5-10 lbs of various ones on hand and pay average of $1.50/lb .... averages out to be much cheaper in the long run.
Who is your source for the Maris Otter? The cheapest I have found is my LHBS and they charge more than that for American 2 row. I am looking to make a bulk purchase and any help pointing me in a better direction would be appreciated.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #18
goose1873
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Erie, PA
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyacovett View Post
I buy 55 lbs of Maris Otter for $40. That enough base grain for at least 5 average brews. Comes out to about 72 cents a lb. I can get American 2- row even cheaper. For specialty grains I keep 5-10 lbs of various ones on hand and pay average of $1.50/lb .... averages out to be much cheaper in the long run.
where? any place online to get grain cheap. My one and only LHBS costs $70 for 50lb minimum...

Old 02-27-2010, 06:39 PM   #19
remilard
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Kansas City
Liked 43 Times on 41 Posts

I'm continually amazed at the argument that bulk hops make all-grain brewing cheaper. Last time I made an extract beer, I put some hops in it. Maybe I was doing it wrong.

You gotta either buy from a distributor that will sell retail (like Country Malt Group) or get in on a group buy to get below $1 per lb for grain. Then you need a mill so there is some overhead required to start buying in bulk.

For group buys, look for a home brew club that is not sponsored by a homebrew shop, they will probably do them. If not you can try organizing one yourself. Generally need to be able to order a pallet at a time and then have someone who can receive the shipment (ie someone who can accept it at work and has a dock at work preferably).

ETA: If you don't have a dock you can just have like 2-3 buddies show up when the truck arrives and unload it all by hand and get a nice workout, basically to keep it cheap you need to avoid needing a truck with a lift gate.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:43 PM   #20
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Mar 2006
Sierra Vista, AZ
Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts

I pay 1.09 a lb for MO which isn't too bad I suppose. There isnt any competition around to drive prices down but Im not getting ripped either. Bulk grain + bulk hops keep prices low.

I brew my house pale for $43.85. But that is 21 gallons worth