Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Pottsville Common (Yeungling Lager Attempt)

Old 12-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #41
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So has anyone who has had the real thing not to long ago tried this to see how close it is? jamesnsw and jbt can you please post the recipes you feel are closest to the real thing in you best opinion! Thanks!

Old 12-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #42
waldoar15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekjohns View Post
So has anyone who has had the real thing not to long ago tried this to see how close it is? jamesnsw and jbt can you please post the recipes you feel are closest to the real thing in you best opinion! Thanks!

My first batch is out in the cold garage still in secondary.

BTW, this is the basic recipe I used. Yeast was 2112 and I used 6 row for a base malt, 90 minute boil.

5 lbs. Lager or pils malt
1 lbs. Munich Malt
7/8 lb. American Caramel 80-90 L
2 lbs. Corn Grits
.75 oz. Cluster (Pellets, 7.00 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.
.25 oz. Centennial (Pellets, 10 %AA) boiled 15 minutes. (or 1/2 5% cascade)
.25 oz. Centennial (Pellets, 10 %AA) @ knockout. (or 1/2 5% cascade)

14 days primary
4-6 wks secondary

Old 12-25-2010, 02:08 AM   #43
waldoar15
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I opened a few today. It's not as dark as it looks in the pic and is damn good. My wife doesn't drink and really liked it. That says a lot.

GoMeanGreen Likes This 
Old 02-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #44
EdMerican
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I made an extract version of the OP's recipe, and used about 4.25 lbs breiss golden light DME in place of grain, but everything else was the same. Had a smaller grain bag than i would've liked, so the crystal, corn and rice hulls were a bit snug. OG turned out to be 1.036 Did I totally screw up my extract conversion or do ya think it could've been the grain bag being overstuffed? Steeped grains for about 40 min at 154 in 3 gallons. Should I have gone longer? Wort tasted decent enough, and I'm sure it'll make a tasty low abv brew, but I would have preferred it to be as close as possible to Yeungling. Any suggestions, other than go all grain? I'm working on it. Still pretty new to the homebrew scene, but I'm learning... I think...

"Hell, If it don't turn out good we'll just distill it and get drunk!" - My dad...

Old 02-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #45
CraigH78
Recipes 

waldoar15 - Ahh a fresh home brew while surfing AR15.com, does it get any better?

Old 02-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #46
waldoar15
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdMerican View Post
I made an extract version of the OP's recipe, and used about 4.25 lbs breiss golden light DME in place of grain, but everything else was the same. Had a smaller grain bag than i would've liked, so the crystal, corn and rice hulls were a bit snug. OG turned out to be 1.036 Did I totally screw up my extract conversion or do ya think it could've been the grain bag being overstuffed? Steeped grains for about 40 min at 154 in 3 gallons. Should I have gone longer? Wort tasted decent enough, and I'm sure it'll make a tasty low abv brew, but I would have preferred it to be as close as possible to Yeungling. Any suggestions, other than go all grain? I'm working on it. Still pretty new to the homebrew scene, but I'm learning... I think...
Corn adjuncts have to be mashed with base malts to convert.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:31 PM   #47
Krrazy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks to those who replied to this thread today and made it pop up in "New Posts," I may have never seen it! As a PA native now living in AZ, I've been dying to brew some "Lager" but haven't tried brewing a lager yet because of the fermenation temp challenges in Tucson. This thread gives me hope...I could probably brew it right now!
My best man and I are planning to brew together in July before my wedding so I'll definately need a temp control setup by then but I think this is what we'll brew on that occasion if it turns out good! Any feedback on the modified recipe from the OP? Thanks!

Old 02-03-2011, 12:17 AM   #48
EdMerican
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldoar15 View Post
Corn adjuncts have to be mashed with base malts to convert.
Well crap. So the Crystal wont do it then? I guess i know for next time...

"Hell, If it don't turn out good we'll just distill it and get drunk!" - My dad...

Old 02-03-2011, 01:48 AM   #49
waldoar15
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdMerican View Post
Well crap. So the Crystal wont do it then? I guess i know for next time...
Read up on doing a mini mash. You'll probably need 2lbs of six row to convert the flaked maize. You can throw the crystal in there too. Mash @152-154 for at least an hour, drain, sparge, then you can add whatever DME/LME you need to get the OG. You can probably do it as a BIAB on the stove top or oven.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:59 AM   #50
EdMerican
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldoar15 View Post
Read up on doing a mini mash. You'll probably need 2lbs of six row to convert the flaked maize. You can throw the crystal in there too. Mash @152-154 for at least an hour, drain, sparge, then you can add whatever DME/LME you need to get the OG. You can probably do it as a BIAB on the stove top or oven.
Well, i DO plan on the next brew to be a stove top AG brew ala DeathBrewer, so I may get away from extract altogether... or maybe just for the most part, as I tweaked a steam ale extract recipe that turned out AWESOME, and not sure I wanna bother it. But I digress

Next time I brew this, (and I believe it to be sooner than later, to please SWMBO) it will be stove top AG. Either way it was a good learning experience, and the wort tasted fairly good. I think it will turn out to be a tasty low abv brew that will be good for yard work if winter ever ends, albeit not quite what i was going for.

Oh, and BTW thanks for the input