Help me formulate a recepie - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Help me formulate a recepie

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
beer35
Recipes 
 
Oct 2006
Posts: 20


Im a newbie brewer and while browsing and reading about various adjuncts and grains I came up with this.

-A bit of molasses for a hint of rum flavor.

-Some oak chips for a casked flavor.

-Golden naked oats for their sweet berry nut flavor.

-Perhaps a bit of crystal malt for a reddish hue and body/foamy head.

What I need from here are suggestions on the right measure to obtain these qualities without one overpowering the other and suggestions for hops. Any experience with these items greatly appreciated.

Also, what to name it?? Old oak barrel beer.. Rum cask ale.. Hmm..

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:10 PM   #2
Torchiest
 
Torchiest's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Houston, TX
Posts: 1,761
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by beer35
-A bit of molasses for a hint of rum flavor.

-Some oak chips for a casked flavor.

-Golden naked oats for their sweet berry nut flavor.

-Perhaps a bit of crystal malt for a reddish hue and body/foamy head.

What I need from here are suggestions on the right measure to obtain these qualities without one overpowering the other and suggestions for hops. Any experience with these items greatly appreciated.
I don't know anything about oak chips or golden naked oats, but I can safely say that 1/2 lb of 60L crystal malt will give you a good amber color, and 1/2 lb of molasses will give you the right amount of flavor. You can also use molasses for priming, which I just did last night, using an additional 1/2 lb. As for hops, it totally depends on how hoppy you want it to be. Some good middle of the road hops would be East Kent Goldings or Cascade. I'm sure other more experienced brewers will have better suggestions.
__________________
WORLD DOMINATION BEER
Kegged
#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:55 PM   #3
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Chairman Cheyco's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2005
Calgary
Posts: 3,246
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts


Since flavor is totally subjective, I suggest that you start brewing and concentrating on the affects of one ingredient at a time. Brew a baseline simple recipe a few times and only change the amount or type of crystal for instance. You can take some general advice, of course! But to really learn what the different ingredients do there is nothing that can replace experience - especially when attempting a fairly complicated beer like the one you are suggesting. Probably not what you want to hear.

For oak chips, I wouldn't add them until secondary, and then I would taste it every couple of days until you got the flavor you want. It's easy to overpower a beer with them. I've never used molasses or naked oats.
__________________
Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:08 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
the_bird's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2006
Adams, MA
Posts: 20,916
Liked 534 Times on 429 Posts


Molasses are a traditional ingredient of some porters. They are another ingredient, like the oak, that can quickly overwhelm a brew. You could probably do a porter of some kind that would include some crystal (I think pretty much every recipe I've done has had SOME crystal malt in it) and three or four ounces of molasses. I'd probably skip the oak on this batch.

Are you doing extract or all-grain? I'm pretty sure the oats have to be mashed, which would somewhat limit their use in an extract-based recipe. I could be wrong, though, I've never used them.
__________________
Come join Yankee Ingenuity!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:14 PM   #5
beer35
Recipes 
 
Oct 2006
Posts: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Cheyco
Since flavor is totally subjective, I suggest that you start brewing and concentrating on the affects of one ingredient at a time. Brew a baseline simple recipe a few times and only change the amount or type of crystal for instance. You can take some general advice, of course! But to really learn what the different ingredients do there is nothing that can replace experience - especially when attempting a fairly complicated beer like the one you are suggesting. Probably not what you want to hear.

.

You are right about that of corse. But Ive already learned a bit just from two replies. Thanks guys and keep the input coming.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:19 PM   #6
beer35
Recipes 
 
Oct 2006
Posts: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Molasses are a traditional ingredient of some porters. They are another ingredient, like the oak, that can quickly overwhelm a brew. You could probably do a porter of some kind that would include some crystal (I think pretty much every recipe I've done has had SOME crystal malt in it) and three or four ounces of molasses. I'd probably skip the oak on this batch.

Are you doing extract or all-grain? I'm pretty sure the oats have to be mashed, which would somewhat limit their use in an extract-based recipe. I could be wrong, though, I've never used them.

Ive got a porter in the primary right now. So far Ive been using specialty grain and extract. But I wouldnt mind mashing some oats.

After some consideration I think Ill try keeping it simple by skipping the oats and the crystal and just use the molasses and oak chips with some maltodextrin and irish moss.


 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Formulate or follow a recipe? Denny's Evil Concoctions Recipes/Ingredients 11 04-13-2012 06:03 AM
Help me formulate my metal-inspired RIS! rph33 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 0 01-03-2009 07:00 PM
Need suggestions to formulate IPA recipe from LME zonabb Extract Brewing 4 04-16-2007 12:40 AM
Trying to formulate a recipe... Dude Recipes/Ingredients 4 10-22-2005 02:06 PM


Forum Jump