Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Bottling a GF today

Old 02-25-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
Noontime
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Bottling a GF today

I'm getting ready to start bottling my latest creation and I can't wait to taste it.

5 galllons
Partial mash 1 lbs. toasted whole grain Bhutanese red rice with amylase
4.5 lbs. Amber agave nectar
1 lbs. soft candi belgian sugar
.5 oz sweet orange peel
2 Tbsp ground coriander
2 bananas
4 oz Maltodextrine
4 oz Lactose
3 oz Hallertau (preboil with rice)
1 oz cascade (flameout)
1 oz amarillo (flameout)

2 tsp yeast nutrient
Safale WB06

Old 02-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
Driftless Brewer
Recipes 

When did you add the bananas?

Old 02-25-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
Noontime
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I usually add a couple of bananas to all my beers (and some wines). I added them at the boil after being frozen then thawed then mashed (liquified). If they go in at the boil there's really no taste after fermentation, but it adds some body and mouthfeel. It may also help with head retention due to the proteins; between the bananas, lactose, and maltodextrine I get a very good head on my GF beers (for gluten free that is...it's not like an oatmeal stout or anything). I like a little unfermentables in my beer so it all works out, especially the citrusy style I've been successful with lately.

I also use a large grain bag because there's always some pieces of banana that don't disolve in the boil or get eaten by the yeast.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:40 PM   #4
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts

That is one insane beer.

Have you used agave before as the main fermentable? What does it end up tasting like?

Old 02-25-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
Noontime
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkershner View Post
That is one insane beer.

Have you used agave before as the main fermentable? What does it end up tasting like?
This is the first time using a significant amount. It's a lot like honey only thinner and doesn't have quite as much flavor. This beer has mostly all new ingredients for me so it will be a complete surprise how it turns out, but I have a pretty good palate from drinking wine, so hopefully I'll be able to pick out the things I like and don't like about it.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #6
Noontime
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I chilled and opened one just a week after bottling just to satisfy my curiousity and I enjoyed it. It seemed a little thin and was barely carbonated, but it had a very nice flavor with a good amount of hopiness with not a whole lot of bitter. I'm going to open one up tonight now that it's had a few weeks.

With my beers I have noticed a significant change in flavor as they age. This is obviously something very well known about wines, but my beers seem to get better and better with time as well. Just not something I ever thought about till I started making beer as well as wine.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:14 PM   #7
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noontime View Post
With my beers I have noticed a significant change in flavor as they age. This is obviously something very well known about wines, but my beers seem to get better and better with time as well. Just not something I ever thought about till I started making beer as well as wine.
While I myself don't have any that last a significant amount of time, midfielder5 sent me a GF ESB that was 5-6 months old and boy was it fantastic. I think she posted the recipe in the forum and I have it on my list of things to brew. I think aging these beers improves them greatly and even makes the cloudiest beers come clear (my pumpkin ale).

Old 03-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #8
Noontime
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I now take 2 bottles of everything I make and put it away for extended aging. Some beers and wines end up lasting longer just because of a slower rate of attrition, but it's nice to know the more popular ones are there when I want to see what an 18 month old beer tastes like or a 5 year old wine (which in south Florida without an appropriate cellar/refrigerator is bit too long by the way).

Old 03-19-2010, 07:23 PM   #9
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Nice, I usually bottle a couple 22 oz's and keep those, I hope I can age them all at least 6 months to a year.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:42 PM   #10
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I sit mine on the yeast in the fermenter for at least 3 weeks, then I bottle and try to forget them, but they usually don't last 5-6 months!
that ESB I sent to lcasanova was just 'lost' way in the back of my stash. the ESB did go through a 2 month period where I thought it was oxidized, so it is tough to figure out.