Hello all! I am moving from extract brewing to my first partial mash brew. I am sure someone has done what I am about to do but I have found no info on it so I wanted to make sure I was not overlooking anything or forgetting anything!
The recipe is for a 5.5 gallon all grain batch, what I am doing is doing the full mash, batch sparging and collecting the wort in a bucket, then splitting the wort into two 3 1/2 gallon boils in my two 5 gallon brew pots. I am adding extract to each at flameout to make 11 gallons total and then I'll ferment these in two separate vessels. The rational for this is: I don't have the equipment to do a full 5 gallon boil + I don't have a wort cooler. Mainly, though, I want to brew two exact batches with one variable different. In this case I will be using two different yeasts to find out what the differences might be. In the future I might try substituting hops, and different fermentation temps and/or times etc.
So with all this in mind... remembering that I have never done any mash before!... here is what I'll do brew day:
1. Heat the cooler up with boiling water.
2. Put the grains (16 lbs of Pale 2 row malt + 1 lb of Victory malt) in the cooler and add 20-22 quarts of 170 f water to mash at 154 f for 1 hour.
3. Drain the mash then add 3 gallons of 168 f water, mix & drain (do I need to let this sit for 15 mins?)
5. Split the wort into my two 5 gallon pots and add water to make 3.5 gallons in each (will I need to add water at this point? What if there is more than 7 gallons collected?) I guess I'll take a hydrometer reading at this point right?
6. Boil, add hops etc. and then add 3 lbs of DME (depending on the gravity) in each at flame out.
7. Cool, add remaining water to make 5.5 gallons in each fermentation vessel, pitch, & ferment.
Have I forgotten anything or not thought of something significant?
FWIW here is the full recipe, a slight variation on the DFH 60 minute IPA recipe by YooperBrew from this thread http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/dogf...extract-25709/
I'll be doing continuous additions of hops instead of the schedule below.
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 5.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 70.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 26.09 %
16.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 69.57 %
1.00 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.35 %
2.50 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (60 min) Hops 27.9 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
2.00 oz Amarillo [7.50 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1.50 oz Amarillo [7.50 %] (35 min) Hops 9.0 IBU
1.50 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] (30 min) Hops 13.6 IBU
2 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale
Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 17.00 lb
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 21.25 qt of water at 170.1 F 154.0 F
Thanks for any and all comments!!