Converting Amber and Dark DME to All-grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scallywag

Reaction score
I have a recipe for a RIS that I really enjoy. I am converting to an all-grain system and have done extensive web searches regarding converting an extract recipe to all-grain. All the resources seem to only refer to the conversion of light extract to a base malt:mad:. What grains and amounts per pound should I use for Munton's amber and dark DME's respectively?

There's really no direct conversion for dark and amber extract. The math for the AMOUNT of grain remains the same, but the TYPES of grain can't be directly converted. I know this isn't a direct answer to your question, but if you look at enough recipes in the style you're looking at, you'll see what grains are typically used and compare to the specialty grains you've used in the past.

Looks like it's back to research and toying time for you. That's part of the fun, isn't it?

Thanks cimirie. Yeah it is part of the fun, but I have this recipe just about perfect for my palate and I don't want to F it up. Good advice though. I'll start pulling all-grain recipes.

Just because you switch to AG for most of your brewing, doesn't mean you have to abandon all of your PM recipes. Personally, I didn't PM long enough to perfect any recipes, but I know some people that still dabble in PM even though 9/10 sessions are AG. Keep testing and experimenting with tweaking an AG recipe to your palate while still enjoying your perfected PM recipe.

Just my 2 cents!!! Good luck

Find 5-6 RIS AG recipes and compare what specialty grains they use to your recipe. Since no extract manufacturer gives details, there's no simple method. Roughly, the difference between pale ME and amber ME is dark caramel, ~2 oz per pound. Adding 2 oz/pound of chocolate gets you to dark.

I'm finding 13.5% crystal 40 or crystal 80 for the total grain bill for an amber equivalent. This number is close to the 12.5% from David 42's post. Most use 2-row US for the other 86.5%. I suggest starting there and adjusting until you get the right flavor for the brand of DME you were using. I go for higher gravity beers, but not necessarily darker ales, so I use 18% of crystal 40L and 82% 2-Row US (all from Briess) to balance the alcohol bite with the crystal sweetness.

Thanks Hahnderosa.

I now have a place to start my trial and error.

On a side note, I'm enjoying a glass of the RIS now. Just kegged it and tonight was the first glass!

https://byo.com/bock/item/616-extract-to-all-grain-and-back

Just another addition to this old post - while the math remains for pale DME/LME to pale AG, here's a basic formula for Ambers, & Dark...

Almost all extracts start with a healthy dose of base malt, usually a two-row pilsner-type malt from the same country or region as the extract manufacturer. Amber extract is typically 90 percent to 95 percent pale malt, up to 5 percent crystal malt, and/or up to 3 percent chocolate or black malt. Dark extract is typically 90 percent pale, 5 percent roast, 5 percent crystal or chocolate.

Back