HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - This is it - Final Weekend to Enter!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Final Weekend!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > another Kentucky Common question...

Old 02-25-2010, 01:32 AM   #1
airplaneblues
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default another Kentucky Common question...

I have been reading the previous threads on the Kentucky Common style, and since I live just on the other side of the river from the KY (and my affinity for sour beers) I immediately wanted to give this style a try...

My question is, as opposed to doing a sour mash (which seems like it has a large chance for a novice brewer like myself to screw something up), could I use 8-10% Weyermann Acidulated Malt in order to get the sourish character of this style with out the (seemingly) complicated procedures of sour-mashing or adding lactobacillus?

Thanks and cheers

Old 02-25-2010, 02:59 AM   #2
KYB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've thought about experimenting with that, and maybe lactic acid (not familiar with either) but haven't. If you can brew all grain, you can do a full sour mash. Instead of waiting an hour on the mash, wait 18-24 hours, then continue as normal. My previous batches doing 24hrs were coming out more sour than planned so I dropped it to 18hrs and it was perfect. Going to see what the next few are like. Some people like sour beers so make this pretty sour. I don't like it like that, I like it to be barely perceptible, but just enough to change up the characteristics of the beer. It's supposed to be a session beer for the common person, and I don't see too many people downing sour beers all night. Just my opinion, but to each his own!