Coutner flow chiller - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers & Stir Plates > Coutner flow chiller

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2006, 03:07 AM   #1
Reverend JC
2500 gallons year to date
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Reverend JC's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
Your Mom's
Posts: 1,880
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts



Yuri-

you had said that in your counter flow chiller you used a 25/64 drill bit to make the compression fitting work. i could not find one at home depot. picked up the 3/8 bit and it appears that is not going to work, unless you have a tip on how to use that bit to make the hole big enough.
__________________
"Just because i don't care dosen't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson


http://www.modernmonks.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:17 AM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
Yuri_Rage's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Southwest
Posts: 14,285
Liked 804 Times on 510 Posts


It was Chairman Cheyco that mentioned that in this thread. You might be able to sand the copper down a little and get it to fit. You might be tempted to try it, but I'd be careful "wallowing" the hole out with the smaller drill - you're trying for a water-tight fitting. If you can't find a 25/64" bit, you could use a 7/16" bit and sweat the fittings in order to seal them.
__________________
Homebrewed Blog..........YouTube Channel .......... Shirts, posters, etc

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:47 AM   #3
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Chairman Cheyco's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2005
Calgary
Posts: 3,246
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
but I'd be careful "wallowing" the hole out with the smaller drill - you're trying for a water-tight fitting.

Actually, sanding the tubing would have a more negative affect on the watertightness of this design, since the the ferrule (the brass collar) seals against the ferrule seat and the tubing itself. Damaging the surface of the tubing is bad. When making the hole big enough for the tubing to pass through, the only thing you need to be careful of is to not damage the ferrule seat of the compression fitting while drilling it out.
__________________
Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:51 AM   #4
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
Yuri_Rage's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Southwest
Posts: 14,285
Liked 804 Times on 510 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Cheyco
Actually, sanding the tubing would have a more negative affect on the watertightness of this design, since the the ferrule (the brass collar) seals against the ferrule seat and the tubing itself. Damaging the surface of the tubing is bad. When making the hole big enough for the tubing to pass through, the only thing you need to be careful of is to not damage the ferrule seat of the compression fitting while drilling it out.
I was picturing the copper as soft enough to "spread" to fill any imperfections in the surface, so long as you don't sand more than just barely enough to get it to fit. Then again, this is your design, Chairman...
__________________
Homebrewed Blog..........YouTube Channel .......... Shirts, posters, etc

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:55 AM   #5
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Chairman Cheyco's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2005
Calgary
Posts: 3,246
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
I was picturing the copper as soft enough to "spread" to fill any imperfections in the surface, so long as you don't sand more than just barely enough to get it to fit. Then again, this is your design, Chairman...

Yeah, not to take anything away from your obvious skill in these matters, but I have found that surface marring and seat damage are terribly unforgiving in compression fitting land. Best not to risk either.
__________________
Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:04 AM   #6
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
Yuri_Rage's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Southwest
Posts: 14,285
Liked 804 Times on 510 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Cheyco
Yeah, not to take anything away from your obvious skill in these matters, but I have found that surface marring and seat damage are terribly unforgiving in compression fitting land. Best not to risk either.
Completely understood...and I would probably just sweat the whole thing together. Welding, brazing, and soldering makes me feel good...

EDIT: It was very tempting to take credit for your project, though...but I'm not that much of a d!ck (I hope...).
__________________
Homebrewed Blog..........YouTube Channel .......... Shirts, posters, etc

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:26 AM   #7
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Chairman Cheyco's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2005
Calgary
Posts: 3,246
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
EDIT: It was very tempting to take credit for your project, though...but I'm not that much of a d!ck (I hope...).

That sounds like more of a survival instinct than not being a d!ck to me!


__________________
Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:30 AM   #8
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
Yuri_Rage's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Southwest
Posts: 14,285
Liked 804 Times on 510 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Cheyco
That sounds like more of a survival instinct than not being a d!ck to me!
Are you threatening me???
__________________
Homebrewed Blog..........YouTube Channel .......... Shirts, posters, etc

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:39 AM   #9
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Chairman Cheyco's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2005
Calgary
Posts: 3,246
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
Are you threatening me???

LOL, of course not!


__________________
Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:46 AM   #10
Reverend JC
2500 gallons year to date
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Reverend JC's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
Your Mom's
Posts: 1,880
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Sorry chairman, when i looked at the thread at work i had forgoten that infact it was you that posted it.


So, what is the harm in sanding down the tube and then just soldering it?
That seems like the easiest way to go without havnig to buy a 25 dollar drill bit.
__________________
"Just because i don't care dosen't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson


http://www.modernmonks.com

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Counter Flow Chiller vs Plate chiller UselessBrewing Equipment/Sanitation 18 01-28-2011 03:53 AM
counter flow chiller jsloan General Techniques 6 06-07-2008 05:04 PM
Counter Flow Chiller? JnJ Equipment/Sanitation 4 03-14-2007 05:41 PM
Counter flow Chiller Gabe Equipment/Sanitation 10 10-22-2006 01:17 AM
Flow through immersion chiller Atticmonkey Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 01-07-2006 12:17 AM


Forum Jump